'Nuther prop swap question.....

ScottieinNC

Seaman
Hey all,<br /> Looking to pick up a few safety items and with an experience on an inland lake with a stump that jumped in my path earlier in the year, I'm looking at used props to have a spare on board. I have a 2003 Mercury Alpha One outdrive and the only info I have on the prop is the number D-48-832832 C121 made by Mercury. <br />It's a 14-1/4" X 21 P Not sure of the # of splines, but if not correct I guess I can get a hub kit for it. If I do that I'll have the spare nut and parts taken care of too.<br /><br />Any advice on this prop iboaters?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 'Nuther prop swap question.....

If that's the right size prop for your boat and you are getting the proper WOT rpm, why not get another one like it for a spare???? No need for something different that I can see.

ScottieinNC

Seaman

I don't know if 14x21 is correct. I can't remember the WOT RPM, but I want to say 4800 touching 39-40 mph on a smooth run. I went to the Mercruiser website prop selection tool, and just about all responses for my boat type and weight said a 14 x 20 or 14 x 21. Whichever performs better I would keep on the outdrive and keep the other as a spare. We do some tubing and I figured this would be a chance to try out a 21P and not lose out if I didn't like it, just keep as an emergency spare with not a lot of $$$ invested.<br /><br />Happy New Year!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

All the prop selector tools are at best nothing more than a good guess to get you close to the right prop. There isn't any program in the world that can take into account all the different hull shapes, boat weights, altitudes, different engine and drive configurations to get the exact prop.<br />Once you get close, you use your WOT rpm to get the exact size. <br /><br />Regarding other prop options, you might want to post in the Prop forum here at iboats.