Nursing Home Owners: Guilty?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
cnn.com story <br /><br />Thirty-four people drowned in a nursing home, the state atty gen charged the owners with 34 counts of negligent homicide, although he said it's not clear whether all 34 were patients; between 40 & 50 people were rescued from the home.<br /><br />The coroner called Sunday afternoon & offered 2 buses to evacuate the patients, plus they had a contract with an ambulance company to provide emergency evac services. They said they had 5 special-needs patients who couldn't be moved (no details offered). They had nurses who stayed, supplies, medicine and a generator.<br /><br />The coroner said they provided good care before the storm but thought they made a poor decision to stay.<br /><br />One of the nurses said they thought moving the patients was riskier than staying.<br /><br />according to their attorney:<br />The owners called all patients' relatives, six families came & got their patient, the others agreed they should try & wait it out. <br /><br />They stayed at the home with their children, grandkids, nieces & nephews.<br /><br />They had a 20-year spotless record.<br /><br />******<br /><br />I think, you make a decision based on the information you have available at the time; if turns out wrong, doesn't mean it was a bad decision. Life is full of risk decisions you have to make without perfect information. Based on the information presented, seems kind of harsh to charge 'em with murder.<br /><br />I guess that's why we have grand juries, and jury trials.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Nursing Home Owners: Guilty?

I'd say that the Jury is definitely still out. Pretty hard to have the whole story at this point . . .

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

At first I thought they were guilty, but the more I read the less I think they did something wrong.<br /><br />Grand jury will clear it all up.<br /><br />Ken

KaGee

Admiral

More grandstanding by local politicos.<br /><br />Are they going to proscecute the boneheads that forgot to evacuate the hospital where they found 45 more dead yesterday? Only fair, don't you think?

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

After Katrina, I don't think they will get fair trial in the state of LA or in NO, as people tends to judge harshly after such a trajedy. It would be hard press to get 12 people to be unbias and to render a fair verdict on the owner and also the nurses. It is still too early to have all the facts to fully understand the decision made then.

D

DJ

The "blame game" continues. <br /><br />Just remember, nobody is responsible for anything, unless there is political hay to be made.<br /><br />Justice would be indicting the Mayor and Senator.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

A mandatory evacuation is a mandatory evacuation. Why is that so difficult for some to understand? GET OUT! The owners of the nursing home? Guilty as charged.

KRS

Banned

What EXACTLY did they die from? Did they drown from 10' of water, did supplies run out, the heat, what was the cause of death? I haven't heard this yet, do they even know yet?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Definately a jury situation. The people were dead anyway, whether they were moved of not. What really should be looked at is how HUMANE was it to leave them. Personally, I feel it is better for them to die in the process of being evacuated than to be left to drown like dogs in a cage. I doubt they will get any real criminal sentencing, just due to the variables involved. In the end it will come down to what a reasonable person would do.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> At first I thought they were guilty, but the more I read the less I think they did something wrong.<br /><br />Grand jury will clear it all up.<br /><br />Ken
OMG!!! I agree with Ken!<br /><br />Ken, I'm not slamming you, we just don't normally agree. Differing views, that's what is so great about America, we can have them.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by azfyrfyter63:<br /> What EXACTLY did they die from? Did they drown from 10' of water, did supplies run out, the heat, what was the cause of death? I haven't heard this yet, do they even know yet?
"Thirty-four people drowned in a nursing home..." rising water got 'em. They were charged with 34 counts, but the DA hadn't determined how many of those were patients..."between 40 & 50 people were rescued from the home," it didn't say how many of the survivors were patients either. They had relatives there, and others who came looking for a safe place.