Number of Poles so I can set Tach

marmon77

Cadet
I would like to know how many "poles" are on a Johnson 150 so I can set my tach up to work.The numbers on the back of the tach on the dial are as follows:<br /> # Poles set<br /> 4-1<br /> 6-2<br /> 8-3<br /> 10-4<br /> 12-5<br /> 20-6<br /> I had to replace the solenoid so I pulled all the wires off and replaced it and reconnected the wires to the new solenoid after which I tried to see why the tach wasn't working.It wasn't working, I thought, because it was set to # 6, I switched it to the number 4 and it started working. Well today while changing out the fuel line I found a wire that I had forgot to reconnect to the solenoid, it ran up to a little pack on the top of the engine. So after I reconnected that wire and started it the tach no longer worked. I have power to the because when I turn the key it goes to Zero just nothing after that. I've also turned the dial on the back of the tach to every number and still nothing.

ob

Admiral
Re: Number of Poles so I can set Tach

Position 6 is where it should be set.If the tach is not working there may be a problem with the gray signal wire from the rec/reg or the tach itself is defective.

walleyehed

Admiral

What model 150 do you have?<br />Usually, the tach is set on 6P for this engine, but the number system you list is not what I'm used to seeing....it IS a tach for a 2-stroke isn't it??

marmon77

Cadet

It's an "86" johnson 150 on a "86" Hydra-sport. When I initially looked at the back, the dial was set on # 6 but it wasn't working, it began to work when I switched it to the #4. <br />Yes I believe it is for a 2-stroke, I think the MPH and Tach came out of a Skeeter bass boat becuase they say Skeeter on them. I've only owned the boat for about a week, I just like to have everything working if I can

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> the 4 6 8 10 12 and 20 are number of altenator poles<br /> the 123456 refer to the numbers the arrow should point at.<br />the 150 used a 12 pole alt also known on some tachs as a 6 pulse. seeing as its an ac tach 12 poles will give 6 pulses per revolution.<br /> so I think setting 5 is what ya want<br /> with the motor running and a good water supply check for ac voltage on the gray wire at the tach. it should increase and decrease with engine rpm. its possible the rectifer got poped while playing with the wiring. while your playing with that DVM check for 12 v dc at the purple and black tach leads. that tach will fit almost any outboard with an altenator made since the 70's. it will even fit the old 20 pole chyslers

walleyehed

Admiral

There's the answer to my question...thanks rodbolt.<br />The 1-6 have no reference to poles just position..#5 would be correct. I'm used to seeing 4P, 5P, 6P, etc....rodbolts' the man.. :)

ob

Admiral

Same here rodbolt.Appreciate the clarity on those setting numbers.Good work. :)

marmon77

Cadet

Hey rodbolt, set the dial to # 5 checked for power at the gray wire, and also the purple it's good. I was using the black lead as my ground while checking the gray and purple. The black shouldn't have +12 correct? <br />Also when I cranked it up this morning, on the hose, the tach was set to # 6 it ran for about 2 minutes then stopped and while running in the lake it intermitantly came on 2-3 times.<br /> Where's the rectifier and how can I check it?

marmon77

Cadet

Called up local service shop asked about rectifier.Owner ran me through a few tests while on the phone, stilll no working tach said I could come down and try a used one before I bought a new one. Wired it in grounded it to the motor, still no working tach. As mentioned checked for power to tach good at both gray and purple wire and when I turn the switch to on it zeros out. Also I have the dial set to # 6. Could the tach be bad even though it zeros out? Any other ideals?