Now *MY* boat stalls

1996Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice
Hello again! I took a week off and went downstate this weekend. My Father-in-law used the boat today and the safety switch came off without him knowing it and of course the boat stopped. He couldn't get it started again and I don't know how many times he tried and paddled back to the camp. <br /><br />So I detect the saftey switch problem, run the bildge for about 2-3 minutes (we've had a lot of flooding), and tried it myself. It finally started, but the engine was squealing at low RPM...side issue...and acted like it was getting too much gas.<br /><br />After paddling back after another stall, I let it idle without the engine cover. It squealed again, I shut it off and tightened the alternator belt. The squeal is gone but the engine still is running squishy. I get up to speed and it stalls. <br /><br />Thank for bearing with me thus far. I think it may be one of three things: 1) water in the gas; 2) It has too much gas in the system and I need to check the spark plugs; or 3) it is not getting enough air through the spark arrestor or the carb needs to be sprayed out.<br /><br />I know that Tommays would say do not put in dry gas. If it is water in the gas, how do I find the fuel seperator and fix it?<br /><br />I smell gas and so my gut says it my be gas flooded.<br /><br />Ideas?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Now *MY* boat stalls

in the most polite way i can say it if you can not find the fuel/water sepator your in over your head <br /><br />if you have one its a big thing like and oil filter that the fuel goes through you just put on a new one and look at the fuel that is in the old one for signs of water<br /><br /><br />i good manual will have photos that can point you in the right direction but you need to start small like changeing oil and work your up to more complex repiars <br /><br />tommays

1996Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for being condescending. I do all of my own repairs, lubing, and winterizing. I just have never seen the fuel seperator on my engine.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Mercruiser V6 & V8 water separators are mounted on the starboard front of the motor, above the dipstick. They are pretty obvious. If you do not see it, you can trace the fuel line back from the carb to the fuel pump and then to the fuel tank. Somewhere along this path you will find the separator.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Being a 3.0 it may not have a fuel water seperator.. I know my last boat with a 3.0 didn't have one and I can't recall seeing a 3.0 with one, but then again I have not looked at one for a few years.

tommays

Admiral

I must say I am sorry if you felt I was being a smart azz but I get concerned for peoples safety when they sound completely overwhelmed by a problem there boat because I have seen to many unsafe repairs done in haste<br /><br />I have a 1995 3.0 which came with out a water separator also and 2004 was the year that it caught up with me <br />The hardest part of installing one is finding a safe place to mount it that will allow you to change the filter without spilling a lot of fuel<br />On my maxium there is a plywood panel on the starboard side of the motor that the fuel fill and vent lines are mounted to this was the only place I could find that allowed me to use through bolts with locknuts<br /><br />You will need (2) barb fittings (4) hose clamps and about 2 ft of??3/8 marine grade fuel hose <br /><br />After it is bolted on there are in and out arrows for fuel flow most filters have 4 holes 2 get a plug and 2 get used you need a tube of tread sealant so they won’t leak<br /><br />You have to move the fuel line from the inlet of the fuel pump to the arrow pointing in to the filter and then connect the new fuel line between the out arrow and the fuel pump using 2 stainless hose clamps at each connection <br /><br />The filter will make a huge difference in about 20 minutes you should change the carb strainer also because it is most likely dirty <br /><br />good luck<br />tommays

CTboater420

Cadet

I have a 94 3.0 mercruiser and I had to add a seperator . The guy at the marina told me mercruiser didnt start to put a sepator on 3.0 until 96-97 . <br />Starcraft you can pick one up almost anywhere your local napa most likly have one . My napa carrys all marine parts for about 25% cheaper then marina . Anyways you can get one for about 25 bucks and takes about 5 minutes to install I would change the feul lines that go to the tank to the seperator and from seperator to feul pump . Just my .02. Jay

1996Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone.<br /><br />Since I don't have a seperator, the more the original problem looks like a (gas) flooded carb etc.<br /><br />Tonight I went to the boat and removed the spark plugs which is the last time I'll do that without marking them. I took off the coil and turn the engine over a few times to see if the cylinders had gas in them... they were dry and the spark plugs didn't smell of gas. <br /><br />I put the plugs back in and took the spark arrester off and determined it was pretty dirty. <br /><br />Because I screwed up the spark plug wires from the distributor, I didn't attempt to try the engine and spray carb cleaner into the carb. <br /><br />The wiring diagram in the manual looks incorrect from my memory. The firing order is supposed to be 1-3-4-2. The diagram says: "L.H. ROTATION FRONT" But the diagram has an arrow pointing clockwise.<br /><br />IF the arrow went left and I reconnected the wires according to the diagram, I think it would match my memory. <br /><br />So my problem has taken a quick diversion to the Mercruiser Manual. Do I trust the manual or should I trust my memory? Anyone care to check their 3.0 manual or share a recent tech diagram?<br /><br />Anyway I will not remove the spark wires without marking them with tape again.

ron7000

Banned

my 2002 bayliner with the 3.0L did not come with a fuel-water separator. I had to add one.<br /><br />My firing order is 1-3-4-2.<br /><br />Sterndrive motors, Mercs anyway, are all left hand rotation engines; therefore the cranckshaft spins counterclockwise when looking at it from rear of the motor. So your crank pulley and belts, on the front of the motor where you'd view the engine from looking at it in the cockpit, spin clockwise.<br /><br />The order the plug wires go, in 1-3-4-2, on the distributor cap is clockwise.<br /><br />Sounds like you have some garbage in the carb causing it to flood out, which is likely since no filter was present.

1996Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

I spent the whole day and the last few hours of last night on the lift working on this. I took the distributor off and watched the rotor it moves clockwise just as Ron7000 said. And I finally found the starting post on the distributor. If the distributor were a 5 on dice - it would be the lower right hand post as you face the left side of the engine. From that point on I was able to follow the 1-3-4-2 sequence. <br /><br />I also looked for a mark on the fly wheel to match up with the timing marks. Honestly I couldn't find it so I went by feel to validate the TDC position of the rotor. I used a small dowel to determine where the piston head was.<br /><br />(I hope you don't mind the narrative)<br /><br />Once I got the wires back on, I marked them with a pen. I turned the engine over and it was definitely spinning well - just wouldn't catch. <br /><br />I ran the battery down in my attempt to clean the plugs, clean the carb, clean the ditributor leads... etc.<br /><br />I took the battery out and put it on the charger for a while and went to bed.<br /><br />This morning I took the negative lead off the engine block and took it to my marine center. The mechanic there said to replace the cap and rotor and it would likely resolve my problems. He also told me how they check for water in the gas tank. If you want to find out - let me know.<br /><br />I ended up at NAPA to get a new ground battery cable and some K100(?) gas additive for any potential water. Hey - for $10 for two bottles - I'm looking for a miracle.<br /><br />I replaced the cap, rotor, and the battery cable in about 5 minutes. I told myself the engine was turning over better, but did not fire completely.<br /><br />The battery ran down again and I let it sit on the charger for about 4 hours before I became impatient.<br /><br />Well my miracle came after I reattached the battery and tried starting it a few more times. A handyman who was working on a camp up the lake heard the engine trying to start and came right over. <br /><br />I handed over my multimeter, and he had the problem diagnosed in about 10 minutes. The ignition module was bad. If you want me to tell you (about) how he diagnosed the problem - I can try to recall the details a little later.<br /><br />So at 8:00 tonight I went down to Advanced Auto Parts - they close at 9:00... Being an uber-geek, I watched the sales guy test the old module. Thankfully it failed. I bought a new one for $29.00 and had the guy test it - it passed. (duh). <br /><br />I will install it on Monday and let you all know what happened. I'm going to (ahem) "church" at Saratoga tomorrow. :) <br /><br />Well - thanks to a random act of kindness from a cool guy up the lake, I may be back in this boat yet!

1996Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

Success! The ignition module was installed and the boat fired right up!<br /><br />I took it out on a very choppy lake and I trust that it is going to carry me the rest of the season.<br /><br />BTW - the ignition module is equivalent to an '85 Chevy Citation II. Why don't car companies make 4 door hatchbacks any more? The last one that I can remember was an Acrua Integra.<br /><br />Thanks for the continued support everyone!