Now I've gone and done IT!

blowfish

Cadet
Ive got an Evinrude *88SPL, that has set up for 4 yrs (garage), I have replaced the plugs<br />fresh gas, wax and have asked her to run like she allways has. Well she cuts out when I put in gear. I was going to my regular boat machanic, $200.00 to put carb. kits. but found a place "The Rigg" only $95 for the kits. Well picked the boat up today, he said it didnt need kits, that it ran fine. Ok....great how much....65.00. Paid and went to the lake, oh and he did say he adjusted the timming and idle. At the lake it starts fine and idle is fine but when I thotle up it only goes about 5mpr at full throtal, but when I push in the key, it takes off like a rocket, but i have to hold and push the key in for her to run correctly. Oh and I have had the rubber thingy in the prop replaced,<br />after looking the motor over today, its gone?? The last time I had it replaced it was sent off (prop) as the rubber thingy needed to be pressed in the prop @ 75 bucks.<br />Please help......Chris

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Now I've gone and done IT!

What is gone, Dumasafish? Your prop? or the fuel starvation problem?<br /><br />Please clarify your problem.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

blowfish

Cadet

The prop is intact w/shine. The rubber thing is inside the prop. Several yrs ago, on the lake, speed at aprox 40 mph, it sounded like it went into nutral, I emmediatly killed the motor. Checked the motor, nothing wrong,Started it up, idle ok, put in gear and slowly increse speed, and again (at high rpm) sounded as if it shifted into nutral. Took it to the shop and they sent the prop off to have a rubber thingy put in it.<br />Chris

Fouled Plug

Ensign

If it runs better when you push in the key to choke it, you may be adjusted way too lean on the carbs or the fuel pump is conked. Have you tried pumping the primer bulb to see if it helps? Must be fuel related.

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You had spun a hub & they put in new rubber bushing. This protects the lower unit when prop takes a direct hit... thus spins on hub of prop vs shock to props shaft.

blowfish

Cadet

If that be the case, and I sure did'n hit anything at the lake, then the mach. must have done it. :mad: :confused: :(

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The carbs need to be cleaned and have new (quality) kits installed. That will solve the acceleration problem. I would be very leary when someone "adjusts" the timing when they obviously did not run the motor under a load. I wouldn't run the motor anymore til you get these things fixed or you may be replacing pistons as well as carb kits.<br /><br />Good luck!

blowfish

Cadet

I must be loaded ;) , he said he hooked it to a garden hose! Not a load I take it? Now sir, what am I too tell her regular machanic?<br />And he owns the exact same motor :eek: , I guess I'll take the rap for it, I'll tell him, that after a few too many, a screwdriver hit me in the head, so I started turning all the screws I could find :D

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

LOL! Very good. <br /><br />Tell your regular tech everything you have told us. Good techs will pick up on a lot of things you say that you don't think are even important. Especially the deal about the timimg. <br /><br />While you're at it I would also suggest a full service on the cooling system including deflectors. <br /><br />Let us know how you make out. The 88 is a great motor.<br /><br />Good luck!

nickster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dumasafish!<br />Like fone_man had said you have spun a hub on your prop chech that first before going trough the carbs.<br /><br />Nick

blowfish

Cadet

Thank you all so very much, I have learned alot here, again Thanks :) .<br />Chris

TONY H

Petty Officer 2nd Class

'fish,<br />If your boat takes off when you push in the key (Choke) then the Bushing in your propeller that you had replaced is still good. The problem is that your high idle jets are clogged. The carbs should come off and be cleaned. It will probably just take Time and a few cans of carb cleaner. Just take the bowls off the carbs abd you will prbably see a film of wher ethe gas gotr gummy. Just spray the carb cleaner through every jet in there and look through them to see if they are clear.<br />It sounds like the Propellar hub is not an issue.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, 'Fish. Nobody has mentioned your fuel pump. Before you start re-rebuilding your carb$, put in a fuel pump kit. The likelyhood that both carbs do the same bad thing at the same time is small.<br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

sloopy

Commander

am I the only one here. who repairs there own Hubs?