Nothing to starter

Hello, I'm taking a break from a tilt trim motor problem. This is my new problem. 1972 OMC TUFM-21C. 225 Outdrive. That's it, that's my problem, i have this boat in the first place. Just kidding. When I turn the key nothing but a buzz sound, like a speaker. I get no click, like a bad solenoid, my battery is good. Wondering if there's some kind of safety switch out something? I jumped the solenoid and got the same buzzing sound up by the guage panel.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Start be cleaning connections and testing voltages

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Measure the battery voltage at the solenoid while cranking the motor.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I do get a weird buzzing sound up by the dash.
Quite often associated with a current feeding voltage back into the circuit via ground.

Could very well a bad relay leaking power back into the control circuit through ground.

I would test switch at helm to make sure it’s not shorted or damaged then head on back and test the relay for problems.

Should be a procedure for testing the relay(s) in the repair manual.

Quite often associated with a current feeding voltage back into the circuit via ground.

Could very well a bad relay leaking power back into the control circuit through ground.

I would test switch at helm to make sure it’s not shorted or damaged then head on back and test the relay for problems.

Should be a procedure for testing the relay(s) in the repair manual.
Ok, I'll try that. I noticed in the manual on the electrical diagram, there's a assistant relay to the starter relay I think that's what it said. Why would I need a relay to the starter relay?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Starter relay is actually two switches in one. Commonly called a Master/Slave relay

One, heavy duty relay switches the (high) current demand of the starter motor.

The other, a low current control relay, connected to the key, is use to control the heavy duty relay.

Either one or both circuits in the “relay could be bad

Starter relay is actually two switches in one. Commonly called a Master/Slave relay

One, heavy duty relay switches the (high) current demand of the starter motor.

The other, a low current control relay, connected to the key, is use to control the heavy duty relay.

Either one or both circuits in the “relay could be bad
Thanks a bunch. I'm working on it now.