Not Sure Were Pee Hole Is-help

skeeterFever

Cadet
hey guess i feel stupid asking,,,,book not here yet...

1979 merc 115 i6

im not sure were my pee hole is..

i think i might have found it coming out of bottom side of engine case...

opened up engine case and i see a tube that runs top of head to bottom ov cover...

i want to test and tune this engine up but im scared to death of overheating and frying it....

previous owner says therms and impeller were replaced early this year,,,

i have unit lowered in half a 55 gallon drum full of water---engine cranks over easy and idles great----

i didnt seee any water coming out anywere till about after 5min...then a stream of water shoots out of this hose and is very hott on my hand...

so my logic says it wont pee untill warm enough to open thermastats....am i correct.......is it ok that this water that comes outthe pee hole is hott to touch....{maybe that stream would cool down if i let it run longer-or maybe get hotter..

am i doing everything correct---im overly afraid to letit run to long in fear of meltdown so i have only run it in 5 minute spans...

HOW LONG CAN I RUN IT IN THIS BARREL...DOES ALL THE ABOVE INFO SOUND NORMAL......I HAVE NO BOOK YET TO READ...SO IM ASKING HERE..

THERE IS A PLUG IN THE HEAD THAT SCREW OUT--CAN I TAKE IT OUT AND CHECK FOR A WATER STREAM TOO THERE OR IS THAT A BIG NO NO...

ANY ADVICE AT ALL IS HELPFULL TO ME....THANKS THANKS THANKS

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Not Sure Were Pee Hole Is-help

The magic number for engine temp is 130 degrees. 125 is too cold and 160 is too hot. Water temp should be well below that because it is always moving and there is only a small amount of heat transfer by volume. Warm yes, hot no. It could be the wrong thermostat or a bad poppet valve.

skeeterFever

Cadet

OK UPDATE---- after bout 7 minutes of idling, water began shooting out of 2 kinda square holes on the lower unit ,,,,,,few inches under the 115 sticker plate.......hott water too---

i guess i found the wee holes- or something....and i guess the thermostats had to open.....

ill order a impeller kit anyway.......but wish my book was here so i could do more without bothering you guys so much....

like i said i scare my self out of doing things in fear of trouble , when im new to something....

thanks for any input

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

Relax:D

The water temp will be about 140 degrees, when it comes out. Now if its running in a tank, that water would heat quickly too. So yes it will get hot.
I'd vote to take it to a lake, and test it, remove the shroud, and run the motor, you should at all times be able to put your hand on the engine block. Yes it will be hot, but it should not be hot enough to burn, or to have to pull your hand away quickly. My other concern would be on checking the timing. These motors can go bad real fast, if things are not set up. Usually going bad happens at WOT, not a 1/2 throtle cruise around the lake. So don't be too scared.
Here is a link to help give you an idea of the way an inline 6 is suposed to be set up. Read it, and perhaps you can verify on your motor if it seems to be that way.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=168855
Otherwise, if the previous owner, kept the motor up, I'd take the test drive if the motor meets the above criteria.

skeeterFever

Cadet

thanks guys,,,,,my guts telling me to replace the water pump guts before i lake test....i dont wanna melt it ....im not familiar with how much water should be spraying out........better safe than sorry

so question what do i buy from iboats store

complete whole kit--#18-3314 comes with the whole 9 yards for 42 bucks

impeller only -- #18-3017 is just the impeller 10 bucks

impeller repair kit #18-3217 is the impeller and every single gasket 17 bucks

im thinking option 3....am i wrong

does everyone replace the whole kit and kaboodle{entire pump and all}?????

Toxarch

Seaman

I replaced the whole thing when I did my water pump service. After opening it up, I didn't need to replace the pump housing, but I did it anyway. Better to be safe than sorry on a used engine. The impeller definitely needed to be replaced on mine and the gaskets too after pulling off the housing. Doing the impeller and gasket kit is all I would have needed and all I plan to do next time.

And I wouldn't run the engine in a barrel unless you need a load on the propeller. Muffs would be better so that you constantly add cool clean water. That barrel water is going to get warm and dirty. You can use the barrel and muffs.

If water comes out of the pee hole after a couple of minutes that you should be good. Do a compression test to make sure all the cylinders are good and then head out on the water. Just don't go too far from the marina the first time out.;)