Not sure if my Sailmaster 4 H.P. is pumping

Just bought a 1985 4 horse Johnson Seahorse Sailmaster. Since I didnt know the history I changed the whole waterpump assemby(first time attempting it myself)Anyhow I know this motor dosent have a traditional telltale so what I am wondering is where should I see water leaving the motor. I see nothing coming out of the 4 exhaust holes towards the top of the motor but seem to have a good rush coming out of the port directly above the prop. Is this normal?Have always had a telltale on my other motors so I am really confused.If it makes a difference I am running in a drum not in a body of water.Dosent seem right to me that you wouldnt be able to see that waterpump is moving water when the port above prop is submerged.Also how hot should the metal cowl on side of powerhead get if idling 5 minutes or so?Mine gets to the point that its pretty hot to the touch.Sorry for the rambling question and thanks for the future reply

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Not sure if my Sailmaster 4 H.P. is pumping

The metal plate on the side is the exhaust cover, it might get hot to the touch. Try putting your hand on the cylinder head for the count of 3. You can also splash a little water on head, if it sizzles off, it is kinda hot.

Rick.

Captain

Great little motor you got there. There should be a spray of water coming out the holes in the back of the leg, up towards the cowl. If your not getting water there I doubt you are getting any cooling water to the head. My first suggestion would be to fill your barrel further and see if it makes a difference. Many times people just don't put enough water in the barrel. Try that and let us know. The water should appear almost instantly so no use running it for more than 30 seconds if it doesn't show up. Best of luck. Rick.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Heat gun to the cylinder head will let you know if it is cooling correctly up there.
The 3 to 4 second hand touching the head is a good method as well if no heat gun.
Welcome to iboats

Tried more water in barrel Filled it to just below 4 holes under cowl No luck Still not any water out and head was hot enough that you didnt want to touch it for 3 or 4 seconds.Since water pump is brand new I am starting to think the waterway in motor is clogged Gonna pull powerhead off My question is what is the best way to unblock it if I find it clogged?Compressed air maybe?This motor seems to have seen more than its fair share of saltwater so I am wondering about deposits.Anywhoo thanks for the reply,welcoming me, and future reply.

Rick.

Captain

Well I hoped for the easiest solution. Next thing to check is the grommet on the top of the pump where the water tube fits in. Some times ,if not aligned perfectly it pinches the water tube will pinch the grommet and cause it to restrict the flow or block it completely. Have a look at that as the next easiest solution. If the water passages are salt blocked there is a way to clean it out but I would think you need some flow in order for that process to work. I'm not familiar with the salt cleaning process. Rick.

Well I hoped for the easiest solution. Next thing to check is the grommet on the top of the pump where the water tube fits in. Some times ,if not aligned perfectly it pinches the water tube will pinch the grommet and cause it to restrict the flow or block it completely. Have a look at that as the next easiest solution. If the water passages are salt blocked there is a way to clean it out but I would think you need some flow in order for that process to work. I'm not familiar with the salt cleaning process. Rick.

Just got done pulling powerhead off and grommet and tube look good so I guess the waterway must be clogged Anybody out there know how to clean it out?Thanks

Rick.

Captain

Darn, I'm two for two. Start by pulling the gear case off and the head plate. Make up a hose to water tube clamp and turn on the hose to see of your getting water flow at the head cooling ports. You can use a tool to clean out the passages as best you can. If flow is good, a new head gasket and your back in business. I would suggest (depending on you water supply pressure) just cracking the tap as the power head normally doesn't see the amount of pressure your water supply is capable of delivering. You could also try doing a search regarding the salt build up chemical cleaning. I'm sure I've seen it talked about here before. Rick.

Well good news and bad news I did what you suggested with the water tube hose adaptor and I have great flow in Now the bad which I figure to be the cause of all my overheating problems Where the water exits the waterjacket is plugged solid I have tried blowing a ton of air through it with minimal results,same with trying PB Blaster I have turned my line of thinking from being salt deposits to maybe being a small piece of an old impeller stuck in there as it almost seems like it maybe moving a little bit judging by airflow out Anybody had a similar problem or know of a cure I thought maybe a small stiff wire but tried and it didnt want to navigate the turns Any theories would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Rick.

Captain

You need to pull the power head. Rick.

Ok so thanks to everybody here helping out I have cleared the clog in water jacket and am ready to put it back together and run it What I was wondering is if anybody knew the cylinder head torque specs and tightening sequence I have a manual I ordered but still waiting for it to come in the mail I am getting impatient to run it so figured somebody here might know Thanks everybody for all the help