not sure if its correct or not

chef master

Cadet
Hello I have a 850 (85hp) mercury with a thunderbolt ignition its a manual lift up model i dont have power tilt, question is the motor wont pull up with out taking the pin out first, same when i put the motor down i have to line up the line up the hooks to a hole and put the pin in is this how the motor is suposed to be set up?. there is a little lever on the outside on both sides of the outboard that i can move up and down but it dosent do anything but move the bar its connected to i noticed today when i looked at it closer there was cotter pins on both ends on the inside of the little lever bar and one on the top of the bar that has the hooks on it. the last motor i owned the lever when moved up or down locked or unlocked the motor but this one does nothing is that normal for this motor? or is there somthing that connects the lever to the hooks? i tryed to move the hooks up by hand but they dont move up just down a little bit

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: not sure if its correct or not

Check again to see if the linkage disengages when shifted into Forward.

The latch is designed to hold the motor down while under power in Reverse (Reverse Lock) and un-lock in Forward so the motor will bbe free to 'kick' up should you stick an underwater obstruction (log).