not so GRAND re-opening...

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
First off, I hate change... Change seldom seems for the better...<br /><br />Anywhooo... My gang (folks and I) made a habbit several years ago of going out to eat on friday nite.. I'd venture to say that 9 times out of 10 we'd eat at the same resturant, a little "mom & pop" 50's era diner... Great food, awesome service, nuttin fancy, iced tea's on the table before my butt hit the seat, waitreses worked there for years, everyone who comes in knows ya... Definately a place i felt at home.. :) <br /><br />Well, round about May or June the owner got tired of the place and decided sell... I can understand why and can't fauly the guy, I mean after all being that the previous owner is a family man and a "hands on" kinda guy, having a resturant that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner is'nt an easy business to operate, let alone have time for wife and kids..<br /><br />The place sold sometime in early August, if i remember correctly (hurricanes mess with yer mind, time gets lost).. From what i understood from speaking with the previous owner, the new guy's plan was to remodel a bit and keep the "50's" atmosphere, and keep the menu pretty close to the way it was.. The resturant was to re-open in the middle of september, but a couple things put a damper on the plans, most notably hurricanes #1. and #2....<br /><br />Finally... Tonite... I thought it would never get here... The "grand re-opening"... My gang had to be there.. And I really, really, really, had a taste for one of the good old grilled chicken sandwiches... Yummmy! :) <br /><br />Pull up in the drive, admiring the new paint, sign, and landscape... "Looks Great!" <br /><br />Walk in the front door... GAY!!!!! :eek: GAY!!!! :eek: The place went fruity... FRUITY I TELL YA!!!! :eek: What the??? Pop and me are looking at each other exchanging explitives and colorful metaphores as we're turning around to head right back out the door, and there's my mom saying "OH, I love what they've done"...<br /><br />Did I ever tell yall that my mother is evil?... SHE'S EVIL I TELL YA!!! :p She made me and pop eat there (she drove, and had the dang car keys.. Pop and me would have walked home or somewhere else, but pop don't get around too good)... :mad: How's a fella supposed to digest when he's ready to puke, MOM?.... <br /><br />All the gayness aside, not one thing on the menu was the same.. Prices darn near doubled.. Only thing on the menu that looked halfway interesting was the grilled mahi-mahi.. But $22.50?? For some grilled fish??? I ain't paying no $22.50 for grilled fruity fish... Used to be all you could eat grouper fingers w/fires and slaw for $7.something..... Gimme a burger & fries.. $10.00...<br /><br />Yep... Damn good thing the BB-Q place and the IHOP ain't fruity.. Not that there's anything wrong with being fruity...<br /><br />Sorry for the waste of bandwidth..... Had to get that out of my brain.. :cool: Maybe I can sleep now...

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: not so GRAND re-opening...

I know what you mean, you sort of feel as though its your restaurant, you go there often enough. I can never understand why a successful business changes for change sake.<br /><br />You could always slip on the skin tight jeans and and body shirt and get with the program, but then again maybe not :eek: <br /><br />Aldo

bubbakat

Captain

Know what yea mean snap. Had me a restaurant here that was like that. Then the lady sells and then the change.<br /> Now all I have left is the awful house and half the people that work at it I have locked up at one time or another.<br />Its always a never ending battle with something isn't it.

one more cast

Captain

One of our favorite places is a dinky diner that has about 12 tables and its hard to get a seat between 5-7 on Fridays and Saturdays. The food is great with lots of it and the haddock fish fry with home made frys is under $8 and the prime rib is around $10. They also make the best Burgers I have ever eaten, with frys for $5.95.

KaGee

Admiral

We all hate change. The "new" place will have to stand on it's own. Time will tell.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

We lost the only hardware shop in town. It was in an old brick building w/ creaky floors, dusty, bins full of every bolt, screw, pins, etc. that you could want or need. All the cliches. <br />Well the owner retired & sold it to a vet who converted to an animal hospital & did a very nice renovation. Nice dryvit exterior & pitched roof,shiny brass hardware. The whole works.<br />Nice building, but just a little fruity too especially when compared to "the hardware store".<br />Now I have to drive 10 or 12 miles to another hardware store or a big box.<br />Can't say I always like change either.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Over the summer we decided to take the kids to Six Flags.WE get there, nice day,not to crowded.<br />Next thing you Know we start noticing a lot of guys holding hands,girls with arms around each other"what the heck" :confused: as the day goes on it only gets worse,try explaining to a 6 and 7 year old why two guys are making out(tungs an all)without puking.Turns out they call it rainbow day,like we would have Known what that was or when it was.What a uncomfortable day,not to mention expensive.