Not shifting into reverse

PT

Seaman
I will try to explain this as closely as i can. I have a i\o GM 3.0 litre engine. I had the heads redone & had to take the shifter plate (it might be called the transom bracket) off & when i put it back on reverse did not work, i have tried to adjust the cable but Im not sure which way to adjust it. forward works fine, there is a motor interrupter switch & overstroke switch, do these switchs have anything to do with going into gear, , how do i get it to go into reverse , any help would be very much appreciated.

Re: Not shifting into reverse

Sounds like you might have an OMC? I have a 3.0 GM block OMC Cobra. You mentioned the interruptor switch so that is why I assume that. I doubt it has anything at all to do with that because mine is faulty when it is in a mood but I can still get it in and out of forward and reverse. The switch is actually there to help it go out of gear rather than go in. I suspect it's in the cable somewhere.<br /><br />Someone gave me this link. Check it out. Lot's of information that I haven't sifted through yet. Assuming you do have a Cobra that is:<br /><br /> http://www.funkopolis.com:8080/~stuart/cobra/

PT

Seaman

Thank you very much for the information. Yes it is a OMC Cobra .I think i may be able to figure out what is going on with the information you sent me. I really dont think its anything but the linkage not set right, I will set it & go from there, thxs again

I think you jinxed me. See my new post today where I can get into forward... Haha - let me know what you find with yours - I may have the same problem.

PT

Seaman

Man Im sorry your having problems also, let me tell you what i did a few minutes ago, i belive its called the cable trunnion,where you can adjust your forward reverse cable, i moved the trunnion back a bit & it went into reverse but will not go into forward, it seeems there is no happy medium, one way is to far for the other. is there a link on how to adjust this properly. I saw you are from North Carolina also:) Elizabethtown here

A White Laker huh? I'm in Ahoskie - a few hours northeast. White Lake is where I started having my problems though. Had it down there in July last year and got left out in a bad t-storm and it seems like it's been one thing after another since then. I went and talked to the mechanic at one of the stores down there and he seemed very sharp. I was having problems with my trim at the time though and he didn't have any parts.

PT

Seaman

well at least it goes into forward & reverse so i know i dont have gear problems or i hope anything major, Ill keep tinkering with it maybe I luck up on something.Ill keep looking around in here also , someone probably has something on it in here just gotta find it, I usually go to beach with mine, dont mess around white lake. btw its a 19 1987 capri bayliner 3.0 GM 4 cylinder with a king cobra omc.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

PT...you have to go back to Stuarts Cobra site that Greg sent you, it has the setup for that trunion in there but it is a big doc with links to several pieces, make sure you go through it all because what you want/need is in there, all lot of the pictures and adjustments Stuart has in there came from original OMC factory manuals.

PT

Seaman

Hey guys thanks for all the info, just one thing that may help some others like me. When following instructions, do it STEP by STEP, just might save you some time & aggrivation:))) have a good day. Ill keep reading around in hopes i may be able to help someone else...