Not quite the same as Terri

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Another sad day on planet Earth ends. <br /><br />In Australia we have just seen the end of a fight by a family for the 'early', more dignified death of their son. <br /><br />He was diagnosed with a rare form of Huntington's Disease at age 21. He died a terrible death last night at 8.30pm. His parents, at his request, had been fighting for a change to cruel and outdated laws in this state. They are also fighting for 'Living Wills' to be allowed in WA. <br /><br />I don't understand enough about Living Wills to comment on them, but I will say that if I were ever in that state and my life was extended beyond my request, I'd be very upset. <br /><br />Why is it that if we, humans, allow animals to suffer in the way we do with humans we would be charged and convicted of cruelty before our feet hit the ground; yet to end the suffering of a human is not allowed! This is the most stupid, outdated piece of thinking I can imagine. <br /><br />When will the people who make the laws finally understand the biology of us and animals. Get with the program lawmakers... WE ARE ALL THE SAME, HOMOSAPIEN IS AN ANIMAL, JUST LIKE BIRDS, DOGS, HORSES AND FISH AND EVEN THE HUMBLE HOUSE-FLY. Please allow those of us who wish to be treated as our biological peers are treated. Would you allow an animal to suffer like this, dying an agonizing death? Then why allow a human to die that way?<br /><br />I have stayed out of the Terri Schiavo case because I just don't know enough about it. But because of this case in Australia I must stand up and be counted. If the quality of life is not there, why is the person kept alive? <br /><br />My thoughts with the Terri Schiavo case are that if it's a case of the husband being greedy and wanting the money, why has he left it for 15 years? If it's a case of no chance of improvement, why has it been left for 15 years? I think there may well be something else going on that nobody is aware of.<br /><br />I am not trying to start a troll here, so please don't treat it as one. I am just pointing out some things that I see as double standards in the treatment of people and animals.<br /><br />I also am not trying to offend anyone. If you find my comments as offensive, you have my apologies in advance, but please understand, I see us no differently than I see sharks, gorillas or snakes.<br /><br />Chris..........

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Not quite the same as Terri

Chris I totally agree with you!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />Larry

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I lied. In the states, you can go to jail for mistreating a dog. FELONY. But, you can kill babies, disabled people and let sex offenders roam the streets stalking our children at will. Time after time, conviction after conviction. After all the sex offenders have rights, but not the babies or the disabled. Go figure.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Uh oh, the time is near for the pope.<br /><br />Pope fed from feeding tube<br />Pope John Paul II is getting nutrition from a feeding tube through the nose, the Vatican said Wednesday

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I agree achris ... <br /><br />I've stayed out of the BS also.<br /><br />I've had two family members 'pass' in such ways that were so G*D DAMN HEART WRECHING you wouldn't believe it (pardon me :mad: ) and neither would the people that ignorantly state that we should, at all cost, try to preserve their lives as long as science will provide!!!<br /><br />THE HEARTLESS IGNORANT DUMBA%% MORONS!!<br /><br />I get so f'n worked up over this because I delt with this with TWO family members on a daily basis.. <br /><br />offended!? .. huh!!<br /><br />If anyones offended - LOOK WITHIN!<br /><br />ugh! :rolleyes: <br /><br />[edit addition]<br /><br />I hope I didn't sugar coat this too much..

D

DJ

We are at a crossroads, as far as society goes. I agree, the suffering is cruel and pointless.<br /><br />Unfortunately, doctors, IMHO are stingy with the pain medications.<br /><br />The crossroads is that we can preserve life that we could not, not that long ago. Is this a good thing? We need to decide. At the same time, it's a slippery slope to start killing people. The practice could get way out of hand very quickly. I fear who would have that decision making capability. Unfortunately humans do not always have someones best interests at heart.<br /><br />Do I have the answer(s). No. It's just an issue that is very quickly coming to a head.

PW2

Commander

That is precisely why this issue needs to remain with the courts, and keep the politicians and other religious fanatics out of it.<br /><br />We recently went thru this with my father, who had a massive stroke and heart attack. Some good samaritan managed to get his heart restarted, but the damage was severe and irreversable. His heart may not have known it, but he was dead.<br /><br />I'm glad we managed to avoid Tom Delay's help, but as it was he lasted for 4 days before his heart mercifully stopped.<br /><br />He felt no pain--only the survivors around him experienced that--and it was too bad he could not be treated as compassionately as the average dog.<br /><br />I cannot imagine what the Schiavo family is going thru with all the help they are getting.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Me again,<br /><br />Thanks for the support all. <br /><br />I do speak from experience on this matter also. Like Barlow, I have seen a family member died a long and lingering death. My grandmother took 6 years to die. In the end all of us breathed a sign of relief when she finally went. I know that sounds terrible to people who haven't been through it, but those who have will understand. I have also seen the 'nicer' way to go (if I can put it that way). My father suffered a massive heart attack and was dead within seconds. Even the attending doctor said that if he had to choose a way to die, that would be it. <br /><br />Admittedly neither is pleasant for the surviving family members, but we all agree that one is certainly better than the other. <br /><br />How do we wish to be remembered? When I thinking of my father I 'see' a man who was healthy and fit and not a burden. I see someone I am proud of. Unfortunately when I think of my grandmother I only remember her as the last time I saw her, a virtual vegetable incapable of caring for herself in any way, unable to communicate or even recognise her daughters or grandchildren. Given a choice, there is no choice!<br /><br />Chris.......

D

DJ

From a Faith fanatic, (not religious).<br /><br />What I'm gathering from this.<br /><br />Don't revive anybody for any reason. You never know. Good samaritans should be prosecuted. We must first check with the family and society to see if trhe victim has the right to life.<br /><br />Scary.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Someone posted a question recently about remembering the movie Soylent Green, it appears that we are getting close to that milestone.

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DJ <br /> I dont think anybody is advocating widespread non revival in all cases. There is a big difference between somebody whose life can be saved by immediate intervention,eg a heart attack victim, and keeping somebody alive indefinitely without hope of recovery.

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Elmer, I remember that movie, wasnt soylent green made from people? where in the USA is that happening?

D

DJ

We recently went thru this with my father, who had a massive stroke and heart attack. Some good samaritan managed to get his heart restarted, but the damage was severe and irreversable. His heart may not have known it, but he was dead.<br />
This is what prompted my response.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Grant S:<br /> Elmer, I remember that movie, wasnt soylent green made from people? where in the USA is that happening?
I was not refering literally to the processing of dead humans, but to the personal choices regarding euthanasia that one may be able to make in the near future.

PW2

Commander

For the record, I in no way questioned the motives, or the actions, of the good samaritan involved.<br /><br />But once the medical tests are done, and the prognosis is clear, It is, IMHO, the family and the medical community ought to be able to take a somewhat more proactive action.<br /><br />I do realize this create some ethical questions, but then courts deal with ethical questions every day, hopefully without a political agenda.