Not pumping oil to reserve tank

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've read and searched with much confusion...can someone point me to what I should check next..I'm not getting oil up to reserve tank on engine. I've replaced the oil pump at main tank and replaced filter..still no oil to reserve. Does engine need to be on for manual switch to work? What should I replace or check next?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Not pumping oil to reserve tank

you should read up on how the system works. the main tank is on the engine, the sub-oil tank also known as the remote tank is mounted outside the engine on the v4 v6 yamaha's. not knowing what year yours is nor what HP it can be several diffent things. some wont transfer if the engine is trimmed or the trim sender is bad, others wont transfer if the engine is not running. if the yellow lamp is lit no oil will transfer . the manual switch just supplys a path to ground for the remote oil tank pump. if you have 12V key on, and hit the manual switch it will transfer. if it wont start hunting for a break in the blue or the tan wire between the motor and the tank. search for a bass and walleye article on this forum for precision blend.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 93, I've done lots of reading and just can't seem to figure this thing out. Where would I find the trim sender...and can you explain why they would be tied in together? Also, if the trim sender is bad, would something else such as the trim not work properly? When you say yellow lamp do you mean the on on the yamaha guare that is actually an arrow on my boats guage and not really a lighted lamp...HELP!

TONY H

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had this problem on my '87 yammy 175.<br />I thought it was the Float switch in the main reservoir ( attached to the engine) It wasn't. <br />It was the little module on the side of the engine, the one with the bypass switch on it. NOt sure what year your engine is but in the later years they incoorped this bypass switch to a larger Circuit board so replacement is big bucks.<br />I would check and hope that it is the Float switch in teh Main Reservior. see that the Float is riding up and down the shaft.

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I must have had a bad connection. I unplugged the pump and plug in and it bagan huming...didn't pump at first so I put my finger over the end of the oil hose and it built up pressure...then oil came shooting out...I plug the hose back in and it filled tank and turned off when full..