Not pulling fuel from tank

Johnson81

Recruit
I have an '81 Johnson Outboard with 3 portable fuel tanks. I replaced the primer bulb already. Problem is when i prime the engine before starting it doesn't pull the fuel from the tank. I replaced the black connector at the end of the fuel line where it connects into each respective tank. This happens with all 3 tanks. Any suggestions?

AlTn

Commander
Re: Not pulling fuel from tank

the arrow on the bulb is pointing towards the engine?...you installed the correct fuel connector?..clamps are tight on bulb connections as well as fuel connector?..vent is open?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

So let me get this straight...you squeeze the bulb and nothing happens? Have you had the motor running by somehow getting gas to it another way?

Let's assume the motor won't start because there is no gas in the carburetor. That could be because the float valve is stuck shut. In that case, squeezing the bulb will do nothing because the outlet is plugged (air can't get out, therefor gas can't get in).

Another possibility might be the fact that some (not all) primer bulbs won't work worth a hoot unless it is held with the arrow pointing up.

kbait

Commander

A buddy of mine ran out one tank, pulled the connector off the motor and hooked to the full tank. Didn't run. :)
(actually a buddy of mine.. I was in the front of the boat!) I still give him hell for that one..

Rick.

Captain

If it didn't work on three I would replace the primer bulb. One thing to check I have one that only works if I hold it straight vertical. It won't work on it's side. Best of luck. Rick.