Not idling properly

Sheltering

Cadet
I have been on this forum a few weeks ago with a similar problem. I have a 1993 Johnson 65 hp that I had a very hard time getting to idle and run properly. So far all three carbs have been removed & cleaned, and subsequently, after discovering one carb was spitting out gas while idlying, I changed all three float needle valves and seats. I also ran a can of seafoam through a tank of gas. I also removed and cleaned the fuel pump which seemed to be in very good condition.
I still cannot get motor to idle consistently. Sometimes it will race while other times it will die when I place it in gear. I had it out yesterday and at first it ran good and then even at full throttle, it would only run a bit better than idle with which I limped back to port. I believe this problem was caused by the fuel primer solenoid being in an improper position, as it started right up later when I changed the direction of the red button on the solenoid.
I tried in the water again today and was encouraged that it seemed to work very well at high speed, but when I shut it down, it was still very hard to start and keep idlying.
I believe I am out of options and would appreciate any help anyone can offer. I am reluctant to travel any distance from the shore as it is so unrealible.

Don in New Brunswick

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Not Idlying properly

Have you got the low speed needles adjusted properly?
Have you checked the link and synk to make sure the carb linkage is set properly?

Sheltering

Cadet

Thank you the prompt reply.

There is only the one adjustment on each of the three carbs, and I have them out 1 1/2 turns. There doesn`t seem to be much change when i adjust them slightly either in or out.

I had the boat and motor in the shop several weeks ago and they set synked the carbs. However they could not get it running correctly either and were suggesting that possibly I had a bad stator. I took the boat as it was as the bill was getting too high.

Subsequent to that I discovered gas spitting from the top of one of the carbs and changed the float valves and seats on all three carbs. Motor ran much better after this but I still had a problem with it not idlying consistently.

Primarily, because I simply did not understand how it worked, yesterday I removed the fuel primer solenoid assembly to inspect it and discovered that the cap was cracked at one of the screws and the crack traveled right into the red plunger area. I will attempt to find a replacement today and try it again. I did discover that, even with the cracked cap, I could sometimes force the motor to remain idlying when I just kept pushing the key in to activate the primer.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

good find, many times if we simply looked carefully at our motors we would find the answers were looking for.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Not idling properly

Does your carbs have a plastic top, if so I think the static setting on the carbs should be 2 1/2 turns out from lightly seated. I don't have a manual for your engine, but maybe someone will come along and confirm it, wouldn't hurt to try adjusting them out another turn.

Sheltering

Cadet
Re: Not idling properly

Thanks again for the prompt responses.

I replaced the fuel primer solenoid cover today, (it was cracked) and for the first time, the motor seems to be working the way it should. It starts right up with one push on the key, it idles, and now there is a response when I adjust the carbs. (Before there was nothing except when you closed the adjustment too much, the motor stalled) Fleet Admiral, when you say 1 1/2 turns, do you mean 1 1/2 flats or complete turns? I am now out about 1 1/2 turns (3 flats)
It`s not very nice weather today up here in New Brunswick, Canada, but hopefully tomorrow, I`ll put the boat back in the water and try it out. Up until now, I was afraid to go very far from port as things seemed unreliable. When everything is working properly, I would like to cross the Northumberland Strait to our neighbouring province, Prince Edward Island (about 8 miles).
Thanks again.

Don in New Brunswick