Not catching anything - help needed!

technolaser

Recruit
I fish from a boat in an area that has almost no underwater features at all, and even the shoreline is straight and boring.

I've tried squid, ragworm and shrimp, on the bottom and off the bottom. I've tried right near the shore and up to about 2 miles from the beach. I've tried all times of the day and night and month. I've also tried trolling. Nothing at all.

Is it possible that the area is so fished out that there's nothing left to catch?

Inside the marina there does seem to be a lot of fish fry about, as well as some larger Gery Mullet (up to about 8"), but outside nothing. I have a Humminbird Matrix 37 and it never even beeps. I've been through the manual, so I don't think the settings are wrong. Is it maybe my luck or am I doing something really wrong?:'(

I think that the huge numbers of Jellyfish lately may have something to do with the lack of success, but does anyone have any tips or ideas? Absolutely anything would be appreciated.

By the way I'm moored at Ashdod Marina in the far Eastern Med.

PW2

Commander
Re: Not catching anything - help needed!

Just curious. Is there anyone else fishing in the area, and are they catching anything?

technolaser

Recruit

PW2 said:
Just curious. Is there anyone else fishing in the area, and are they catching anything?

I've only ever seen two fish brought in, a Tuna about 30lb caught way offshore, and an Amberjack about 20lb. I've heard of lots of others, some of which are definitely imagined!

What 'm trying to figure out is whether it's possible for there to be so little sea life, or am I doing something so wrong that I should be certified?

PW2

Commander

Not sure what to tell you.

Every place has its' individual quirks, and there is no substitute for local knowledge.

Try to find a tackle/marine/bait shop in your area and ask a ton of questions.

Good Luck

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The area around ashdod is mostly covered with silt from the Nile delta and as you say,there is no structure.A little way down towards Ashkelon there is a lot of structure along the beach.This is mostly petrified sandstone and lime stone.I used to catch a lot of Mullet (snagging) and arassim using salted chicken gut.
The "strip" about 20 kilometers south of where you are is involved in heavy overfishing and in summer the water is just plain to warm.The fishing for amberjack is done in winter when they come closer to shore,unless you fish north of Naharia where they come in groups of 2 and 3 fish.
A very good thing to do on the sand is to hang a bag of fishguts and other stinky meats over the side.these will attract shark and they are fun to catch
I used to fish a lot in Atlit between training sessions.

DEF

Cadet

This is probably the only forum were you can find somebody who's been fishing in Egipt.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

This thread has nothing to do with Egypt,sorry wrong country.
I did fish a lot in Egypt in the red Sea,mostly for sea bream,barracuda, grouper and Hammer head shark.