Not a very silent night at The Hideout

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Still some snow on the ground from Wednesday.<br /><br />2 days short of a full moon. . . no clouds. . .clear as a bell.<br /><br />The Hideout Chapter of the North Texas Howling and Singing Society is in full song, celebrating whatever coyotes celebrate on Christmas Eve.<br /><br />Enchanting.

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Not a very silent night at The Hideout

22-250 in the moon-light works nicely!!<br />'Tis the season to let'em howl...sleep tight and may Santa be good to you!!!!!! :)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Sure wish we could have gotten some of that snow. I am in between you and kenimpzoom and I didn't get any.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Sounds of the wild on Christmas at a<br />snow covered "hideout". Very cool JB.

SoulWinner

Commander

I have never heard coyotes howl. My dogs howl when I play my bagpipes, I wonder if it sounds the same?<br /><br />Very cool JB. I'm watching James Bond, almost as cool.....ok, not really. God rest ye merry gentleman.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea I seen where parts of Texas was getting a fair amount of the white stuff.<br />None here, just cold, 14* right now and suppose to get to about 4* before the night's over.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Merry Christmas from Utah. I love hearing the coyotes at night. Way cool.

crab bait

Captain

it can't snow an never will snow in bum F# egypt..

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Quote by JB:<br /><br />"North Texas Howling and Singing Society is in full song, celebrating whatever coyotes celebrate on Christmas Eve."<br /><br /> Maybe a Christmas Eve bunny dinner? :) :) <br /><br /> We hear them here with some regularity. Enchanting it is. Heard a wolf while in the UP last summer, that raises the hackles a bit but it is also very cool.

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll bet the deer are moving a bunch too. <br /><br />I envy your situation, but plan on having the same when I retire. <br /><br />You are a lucky man JB.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> I have never heard coyotes howl. My dogs howl when I play my bagpipes, I wonder if it sounds the same?
Coyotes don't sound a bit like bagpipes. Unless you are a very, very bad bagpipes player, that is.<br /><br /> ;) <br /><br /><br />-dd-

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

I have not had the pleasure of hearing the coyote's sing but my dog gets singing whenever I have to use my router for a job on my boat. The first time I heard him I thought that I had blown a bearing in the router.<br />Goodness knows what the neighbours thought of the racket.<br /><br />Peter

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I love the sounds of coyotes breaking into song. Especially when they really kick into high gear with the harmonies. Then our Spaniel,Elijah, joins in with his soprano! That's when it gets funny. Hilarious! Boy can that dog hit the high notes. Beautiful sounds JB! That's why I'll never leave the mountains. Love those kinds of perks!<br />Bassy

f_inscreenname

Commander

Found this FYI on line-<br />Why do dogs howl?<br />Although we domestic dogs bark more than our wolf ancestors, we howl less. The reason is the difference in our social lives. The purpose of the howl is to synchronize and assemble the pack for action such as going off on a hunt for food. Since -- if we're lucky -- this need doesn't occur with domestic dogs, there may only be a few times when we feel the instinct to howl. When we're forcibly shut away from our human family -- we hate that -- then we may perform the "howl of loneliness" which has the same function as the group howling. Both say: "I am here . . . where are you? . . . come join me." In the wild this howling would attract other members of the pack like a magnet, so if our human pack fails to respond to the howling dog, we find that difficult to understand. Those of us who live in the heart of a caring human family are simply not stimulated to howl.<br /><br />There is one amusing exception to this explanation which concerns musical families. If the family is singing, many of us will mistake this as a signal that our owners are trying to "draw the pack together" and will enthusiastically answer this call by howling along with the rest of our pack. Kind of fun actually!