nose dive

edmurphy

Cadet
Why would the front of the pontoon boat dive under water at around 10mph with only 3 people on board? Its a 1968 Kayot Captian with a 95 Evinrude 48spl motor, And no there is no water in the toons.
Ed:confused:

Re: nose dive

I would say either weight distribution or water in the pontoons (although you've said that's not the case). Thinking outside the box, maybe the motor is overly trimmed in, pushing the nose down.

There could also be something dragging from the bottom, almost the same effect as an airplane putting out it's flaps.

Water in the pontoon seems to be the most likely scenario though.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what length toon, it is usually cause by too much weight forward, was the anchor dragging? moving to toons.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've seen this happen twice in my boating career. Both nose dives were caused by too much weight forward while rapidly returning the throttle to idle.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I guess you could call it a normal abnormal occurance.I would think a
smaller toon with smaller diameter toons maybe a following sea and a quick decelleration or a rapid decelleration in anticipation of large waves.The thing to remember if it starts to dive cut the throttle.Definately load with a slight stern bias.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Is this a new occurance?

Are you on relatively flat water or encountering 'waves'?

Pontoons tend to plow through waves, totally unlike 'normal' boats riding up and over waves.

Waves need to be approached at an angle whenever possible, never straight on or you can be sure your deck will get wet.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A 68 pontoon I'll bet the tubes are pretty narrow.On a pontoon once you get past the 1/2 way point the flotation increases at a decreasing rate.

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer

Is this a new occurance?

Are you on relatively flat water or encountering 'waves'?

Pontoons tend to plow through waves, totally unlike 'normal' boats riding up and over waves.

Waves need to be approached at an angle whenever possible, never straight on or you can be sure your deck will get wet.

GREAT!, now I know how to cool off the wife!