Normal Operating Temp's

Sooner44

Seaman
Hello All !!

Just replaced the rear seal on my Dexter hub. I took the boat/trailer on a test run.

Ambient Temp - 106 deg F
60 mile trip
Road temp - 147 deg F
Tire Temp - 175 deg F
Right hub - 135 deg F (hub with new seal)
Left hub - 138 deg F (Factory assembled)

The hubs are the Dexter (EZ Lube) style. No Brakes, Single Axle.

Question is: Can any of you tell me what the average operating temperatures are for your hubs ? I am wondering if the above operating temperatures are considered normal for summer conditions.

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Normal Operating Temp's

With 106 degrees ambient and 135 to 138 hub temps I'd say that's perfectly acceptable. 175 degree tire temp is more bothersome. That's pretty hot but amounts to about the same temp rise as the hubs.. Are these trailer tires and were they aired up properly? 175 is at the point where you burn yourself if you touch them.

Sooner44

Seaman

Yes, are trailer tires, yes aired up to max psi.

I wonder about the tire temp using the Raytek laser temp gun on rubber ? Anyway one thing for certain, the pavement will burn you 8) These are the best measurements I could get without using the therocouple on my Fluke meter. May try that next. I do feel the temps on the hubs and road surface are good readings.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I make frequent 200 mile or more fishing trips at freeway speeds and my hubs are just barely warm to the touch. But then up here in the tundra ambient is in the 80's and 90's.

PW2

Commander

The hub Temps sound fine. your tire temps are worrisome.

The best temperature guage available is your hand.
130 deg F feels warm to the touch, but not hot

You can't hold your hand on greater than about 150 to 155 deg F. You can't touch 175 deg F. If you can't touch your tires, you have some sort of problem that requires a professional solution.

The best thing about using your hand is that you almost always have it with you, and it rarely goes out of calibration.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

At 175 degrees it might, however, be rendered inoperative for a week or so. d:)

Sooner44

Seaman

I agree, my experience is 130 is hot to the touch. I could touch and hold the tire tread, so there must have been a problem with the laser temp gun's ability to read properly on rubber. I am more concerened with hub temp's, but from the feed-back, It seems fine.