NoOb here, 1991 23' Chris Craft Cuddy

hlhneast

Cadet
Hi, complete and total NoOb here, never delt with boats or have any boating background so take it easy on me!

Background:
My son bought a 1991 Chris Craft Concept Cuddy with a OMC 5.7 without knowing anything about this type or any boats at all. His boss talked him into it as it was cheap. Next weekend my son, my DIL and myself are all going to a Coast Guard boating class to learn the basics of operation, navigation etc. I am in construction and I like restoring classic cars so the boat's mechanical and electrical systems are not anything I believe I cannot handle.

The Boat:
The boat started its life in NY somewhere and I have no idea about that at all except it received most of its use there. It has resided in FL for the last 8 years mostly tied to a dock in Palm Coast. In its 20 year life it has accumulated just over 400 hours service according to the clock in the engine bay. The former owner is in the process of divesting all his property in FL and heading out on his 50' sailboat so the boat came up for sale. In general the boat seems to be in good shape, no jury rigged, hacked up systems except a few issues that I need to get some advice on.

The Issues:
First and most important is fuel. The PO assumed there was a problem with trash in the fuel tank, a 55 Gallon Moeller cross linked poly tank. I removed the tank and the float assembly to get a look. The bottom of the tank had a bit of gas shellac and a little moisture but thats it. What I did see was the pick up tube seemed to be sitting on the bottom of the tank. My question here would be how much gap should the pick up tube have to the bottom?

Secondly, since the boat has spent all its life outside and the fiberglass is badly oxidized. I tried a little automotive rubbing compound with little results. A friend suggested wet sanding using 3200 grit sand paper. I had a little 400 grit and lightly wet sanded a small area and it seemed to do pretty well. Is this the suggested procedure for restoring the finish to its potential? If not how about some other suggestions. After removing the oxide, what polish/wax would be good to bring a shine back?

I am sure other issues are going to crop up as I get further along but if you folks could help this poor boy out I really would appreciate it. And BTW I have already found out the OMC system will be a problem if it breaks but we are hoping for the best here.

Thanks!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: NoOb here, 1991 23' Chris Craft Cuddy

Welcome to the forum hlhneast. None of your questions are specific to Chris Craft brand boats. You'd be better offing posting them in the appropriate general forums for better responses. These manufacturer-specific sections are pretty dead.

hlhneast

Cadet
Re: NoOb here, 1991 23' Chris Craft Cuddy

So I see, thanks for the tip my friend!