Noob buying boat, help

z rated

Cadet
Hey everyone, Ive been thinking about buying a boat recently, ive been out looking at Bayliners and sea rays so far. What i want from this boat is something to take out on the weekends so its going to have to be something that isnt too hard to tow. This whole time now ive been looking at 27 to 33 footers. Is that going to be too big to tow? What other sort of things should i be considering while searching? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Noob buying boat, help

Howdy, z.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Your first boat shouldn't be over 16-18'. Learn boats and boating first, then think about a big one.

z rated

Cadet

Thanks for the welcome J. I understand what you mean, but ive been boating my whole life, either renting or out on friends boats. And a smaller boat isnt out of the question, but i'd really like to hear some opinions on towing a boat over 27 feet rather than mooring it.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Here is some thing you need to consider, A boat that size you better have the pulling power to back it on the ramp and pull it out, too many times people get the boat to the ramp and the vehicle and boat just keep on going :Dafter the tires hit a little slime on the ramp. Its one thing to get it there, But its another to launch it and pull it back out, especially depends on the pitch of the ramp when weight takes over and momentom. This one guy was yelling at his wife and she didn't even do any thing, It was comical:D, Boy the guy was p#@#ed off, and he had a bigger vehicle too. if your going to launch it and load it all the time get a boat your vehicle can handle ON THE RAMP. Oh and make sure wife brings the camcorder so we can see the big splash.:D Here's a pic of my baby.

Attachments

• TRUCK.jpg
    TRUCK.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the welcome J. I understand what you mean, but ive been boating my whole life, either renting or out on friends boats. And a smaller boat isnt out of the question, but i'd really like to hear some opinions on towing a boat over 27 feet rather than mooring it.

My wife has a couple of things she would like to add >>Pat
Go ahead Babe...

Z, There are several things in the opposite end you may also want to consider...
I don't know what state you are in, but some states require a boat that size to be titled as a second home and not a boat...insurance on a title like that can run in the hundreds per month. Been there done that! You may want to check with your county clerk to see how it would be titled in your state.
A wrecker is required to launch a boat of this size. The weight alone would pull your truck in the water along with the boat. Something else to consider, ...do you want to pay a wrecker every time you want to launch or do you want to pay dock fees for a boat this size.?? You should check with several marinas to see what their fees are. We were paying 450.00 per month...
Good luck!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's going to take a big truck to pull and stop it. i tow 23ft, 4500 lbs, with a Surburban, and only use good ramps. also there comparison between SeaRay, and Bayliner is not even close. even though they are both owned by Brunswick. Bayliner is the entry level, quaility boat

bigmacfan

Seaman Apprentice

I understand what you mean, but ive been boating my whole life, either renting or out on friends boats.

Respectfully, going out on a friend's boat and renting boats is entirely different than owning a boat. The responsibility is different...you are in charge, you are the captain, you have to be the most expert person about that boat on board. I think it is a better idea to start smaller as someone suggested for your first boat. I also wouldn't buy a brand new one for my first boat. Too much pressure about there not being a single scratch on that hull for a newbie.

tommays

Admiral

It is flat around here but 27 boats on trailers are pretty common :eek: and whats towing them is :eek::eek:

I think you will find your limit will be boats with 8'6" beam Or you would need and over size permit

Around here tree branches smacking the carp out of something that big is also and issue

The big block gang tows around there 40' with the F550 all aver the place here

IMHP it requires way to much work as well as a giant place to park it on land which is whole issue alone :mad:

Tommays

rndn

Commander

Personally, I would not want to tow around anything in the 27 to 33 foot range.

MikDee

Banned

You can probably get yourself a nice 22-25' Weekender style (v-bunk, head, galley, sink, fridge, & shore power) boat, to suit your needs that is easier to tow, trailer, maneuver, & store. As long as you have a beefy enough vehicle to pull it.

RoboDad

Cadet

I'm in the same situation for buying a boat... I currently own a 16ft MirroCraft that is a great boat, easy to handle and great to fish from but the fammily wants bigger faster and more comfort... so ... I am stuck between a SeaRay, a Bayliner, And a Four Winns, all later 80's models, but what is the better boat for the $.. all are priced close together but what are the pros and cons to each one... Also what should i look for when looking at a used boat..

Thanks..

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

fammily wants bigger faster and more comfort... so ... I am stuck between a SeaRay, a Bayliner, And a Four Winns, all later 80's models

All are good boats, It depends on what catches your eye(and families). Welcome to Iboats, you'll get a lot of great responses and all the help you need from these great guys no matter which you pick. >>Pat Ps: start a new thread and you will see what I mean.:)

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I pick up this 1987 18ft Rinker V-180 , OMC 4.3 v-6 cobra outdrive + good trailer for $3000 2 months ago, it did need $1000 dollars worth of maintance but now its a great boat, i really like it , last boat was a 16ft with a 60hp merc.
000_2265.jpg

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Some years back I got the itch and went from a 19'er to a 27 1/2' flybridge cruiser. It sat on a triple axle trailer (with brakes), weighed 10,000 lbs and was 35' from the front of the trailer to the back of the outdrive. Pullin it scared the crap out of me. I finally sold it and now am now quite happy with my 23' CC.

I'll add my vote to the others and suggest that your first boat should be in the 18-20' range and outboard powered. What is your tow vehicle?