Non wood reinforced hulls

lcdr frank

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking to find a list of boats that were built WITH OUT wood in the trasom and decks. I have heard that Boston Whaler and Cape Horn were nonwood built but i am looking. If any one would know I feel it would be the members here. Are there any down sides to non wood for reinforcements.

LCDR Frank

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Non wood reinforced hulls

hi......welcome to i boats......

yup the whaler.....no wood....all glass and foam.....

there is another kind of boat with no wood...........a tinny !

all aluminimum......river boats....jet boats.....there is tons.....

what do you plan to use the boat for?
and why no wood?.....if you are just avoiding rot.....you could pick any old glass boat you like and build it with composite products.....then youd have one for life and never have to worry about it.

cheers
and welcome

lcdr frank

Seaman Apprentice

I already have 2 "tin" boats 'both of which I have replacerd the wood in. I was hoping to find a glass boat without the risk of rot. Just low dollar fishing ...coastal style.

LCDR Frank

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the wood is "properly" incapuslated in the fiberglass there is nothing wrong with wood.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Composites have a whole different set of problems. I?ll bet that in 10 years delamination problems and water logged cores and foam will be the norm for "non-wood" boat problems.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

What was that thread about the surveyor looking at SeaRays that just fell apart.

Them pics were scary.

I'd look into what your buying real careful like if you get one. (no wood)

ziggy

Admiral

since ya didn't specify year of the boat. i'll throw in my note.
aristocraft boats are billed as no wood boats. they're old though. mfg. closed in 1980 for their fiberglass boats.
www.aristocraftboats.com. check out the fiberglass brochures under vintage boats. you'll find a few with cross views of the construction. no wood.

the drawback that i'm aware of for the nineteen that i got is water soaked foam if water penetrates the inner hull liner and outer hull.... don't know what drawbacks the funliner had..

What was that thread about the surveyor looking at SeaRays that just fell apart.

Them pics were scary.
yes they were scary. make a boat buyer leary for sure..

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boats need maintenance - period. I don't care if they are made of fiberglass, fiberglass with wood stringers, all wood construction, steel, aluminum, or even concrete - each material has its own strengths and weaknesses. Don't make a decision only based on whether or no there is wood used in construction. There are many more boats built using wood than fiberglass only, so your chances of finding a good one are greater. There are some fantastic boats built with wood or fiberglass encased wood stringers.

Here is some information from Grady White about the wood that is used in their boats:

Stringer Systems
Stringer systems of no-rot plywood are precision cut by a computerized router then glassed in while the hull is still in the mold. This means the SeaV2 hull will retain the correct shape. Our tried and proven stringer systems are consistently strong, light, and phenomenally durable. Our no-rot plywood systems carry a limited lifetime warranty. Plus, in a Grady-White, sprayed-in foam between the stringers acts as spreaders between the structural beams for added strength.