Non volvo oil in Volvo SX-M drive - OK to use volvo?

fcawth

Seaman Apprentice
I just got a used boat with a volvo 3.0 engine and an SX-M outdrive. The boat is a 2001 model. I test ran it on a lake before I bought it and everything seemed nice and quiet. It was always run in fresh water (according to the seller).

The drive has non-volvo gear oil in it (it is kind of black, but not because it is old). I want to switch back to the "correct" volvo gear oil. I was planning on draining it as much as possible, filling with volvo oil, running it for a short time, then drain and refill with volvo oil. Is this a good idea?

When I take the drive off, I'll check the alignment with an alignment bar. Will I be able to tell if the universal joint is OK? Anything I should look for other than the obvious water in the bellows?

Also, what grease should I use for the gimbal bearing (the grease fitting on the side)? It would be really helpful if someone could list out all of the grease and adhesives (something about putting sealant on the threads when installing the drive?) that are needed for the bellows replacement.

I am planning on replacing the bellows even though they look OK, and have ordered all of the service manuals and parts. I am also replacing the impeller since it is probably the original. I don't think that there are many hours on the engine (no hour meter).

Finally, does anyone have the part number for the plastic covers that go on the ends of the trim "posts" (big stainless steel bars where the trim cylinders attach?) Are these just cosmetic?

Thanks,
Fred

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Non volvo oil in Volvo SX-M drive - OK to use volvo?

The drive has non-volvo gear oil in it (it is kind of black, but not because it is old). I want to switch back to the "correct" volvo gear oil.
Any synthetic GL5 rated gear lube will work. "Kind of black" is normal for that type of gear lube. IF it had been gloss black and smelled burned, then you have a problem. The discription sounds like normal use to me.

I also wouldn't worry about draining, refilling and draining again.
If you use the boat 100 hours or less per year, a yearly change of the gear lube is all that is necessary. Good idea to check the dipstick to make sure it's not leaking or filling with water.

I have always used Mercruisers Ujoint and Gimbal bearing grease. It's designed for that purpose and we were both a Volvo and Mercruiser dealer.
Don't forget to put spline grease on the splnes too. also a Merc product and designed for the job. Sierra has some, but it's pretty wimpy stuff in my opinion.

It would be really helpful if someone could list out all of the grease and adhesives (something about putting sealant on the threads when installing the drive?) that are needed for the bellows replacement.

A Volvo owners manual does just that. The good thing is, you can download a free owners manual from the VP site. Here's a link to it.

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/glo...ice/publication_search/publication_search.htm

I also have the OEM service manual for that drive you can download.
http://www.4shared.com/account/file/50982625/e2bdb42c/SX_DP-S_Service_Manual.html

Finally, does anyone have the part number for the plastic covers that go on the ends of the trim "posts" (big stainless steel bars where the trim cylinders attach?) Are these just cosmetic?

Right here at iboats, scroll up to the top of this page and click on Volvo Penta Parts. Then click on Drive (lower Unit)

That little plastic cap is part number 3857522, it keeps that E clip in place even if breaks. And they do. Their part number is 3857521. Keep a couple of each handy, you will need them.

fcawth

Seaman Apprentice

Don,
Thanks for the reply. It was very helpful.

Are the 6 locknuts typically replaced when you install the drive? I can't seem to find their part number even with the volvo parts link at the top. There are engine parts and drive parts, but nothing for the intermediate plate / trim cylenders. Where should I look for those diagrams.

This is a great resource and I really appreciate all of the help.

Thanks,
Fred

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are the 6 locknuts typically replaced when you install the drive?

No, it's not necessary to replace them each time. If you can put them all the way on with your fingers, then they are worn out and should be replaced.

To find trim and transom plate parts, go to the drive section where you found the outdrive, and scroll down to TSK. That stands for Transom Shield Kit. Volvo has always been a little weird about where they put things.

As far as those lock nuts, they are in the upper gear case housing part of the drive. In this one, they are item #28 (look by the dipstick)

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Uppe...1188980--**********.271422570--view_id.323990