Non skid instead, carpet or vinyl

Coy6888

Cadet
Have been doing a pontoon restore last few weeks. I’m on flooring now, luckily the deck is solid and the glue has came off fairly easy. I have no experience with the non skid but I hate carpet. My concerns with the non skid is..1) I don’t see a lot of people doing the non skid flooring on pontoon boats. 2) Although I fish a lot this is mainly a family boat and I worry the non skid will be a little to abrasive for the wife and two girls. 3) How hot does the non skid get when it’s sitting in the sun uncovered after a few hours. I’m also considering the vinyl flooring but it is about three times the cost of what the non skid would be. Thanks

MRS

Commander
Vinyl floor on our pontoon we fish mainly with the pontoon vinyl hoses off easy. First boat that has vinyl on the floor and love it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The problem with vinyl is that it’s slippery when wet. Throw some fish slime and guts on the deck and you have a skating rink.

You also have the issue of moisture getting between the vinyl and sub flooring. It’s not if, it’s when it happens

I have factory non-skid on a self bailing deck. Doesn’t get hot (off white), good footing and easy to keep clean by just hosing it off now and then

Coy6888

Cadet
The problem with vinyl is that it’s slippery when wet. Throw some fish slime and guts on the deck and you have a skating rink.

You also have the issue of moisture getting between the vinyl and sub flooring. It’s not if, it’s when it happens

I have factory non-skid on a self bailing deck. Doesn’t get hot (off white), good footing and easy to keep clean by just hosing it off now and then
Thanks I ordered my primer and non skid paint yesterday! Appreciate the replies

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
i heard seagrass is the way of the future? anyone have it and like it?
carpeting by any other name is still carpeting ;)

Does not resolve the problem of moisture getting trapped between the two surfaces nor slim and $rap getting ground into the weave

utfisherman

Seaman
I used a non slip paint called tuff coat marine and deck paint. So far so good it's been about a year