Non-aluminum 16' Grumman canoe

Hypnoqueen

Recruit
I am new to this site and hope someone can help with some info on my canoe. It is NOT aluminum and the color is olive drab. It is a very solid and sturdy material similar to poly or plastic or? I don't really know what the material is and I have exhaustedly researched on the web and can't find any mention of Grumman making a canoe that wasn't aluminum. My husband says its not fiberglass, but rather something stronger. It is a model 6K made by Grumman Boats Marathon, NY. It is seamless. Does anyone know or have any guesses where I can find out what material it is made of? Thanks in advance.

jenjen99

Recruit
Re: Non-aluminum 16' Grumman canoe

I have the same question! I found this canoe for sale and thought I would research it before buying, but can't find any info anywhere. I'm curious to know what the material is as well.

canoe.jpg

Mtnislandboy

Recruit

Did either of you find out any information on this canoe? I just bought one and have done a little research (not much to find) and it seems to be early Royalex. Did you decide to buy, and if so, have you enjoyed it? Mine seems to be a bit different as it has two thwarts. I hope to discuss these rare canoes further!
I couldnt insert photos for some resason..let me know if interested and i can try again...

jenjen99

Recruit

I did end up buying the Grumman canoe. Here's an interesting article I found on it.
Duckworks - Fitting Out a Grumman Fiberglass Canoe
I was surprised to see that it originally sold for over $1,000.

Haven't had mine out yet, but hope to this weekend. Just need to get the proper rack for it. It's so long that I'm a little nervous about carrying it on my Outback, but it seems doable so I'm going to give it a try. I live in the Sierras near Lake Tahoe. Where did you pick up your canoe?

Mtnislandboy

Recruit

JenJen, good to hear from you! BTW...i love the Sierras. If i could live anywhere else in the US, that would be it...beautiful. I live in North Carolina, picked mine up from a guy near the mountains.

Thanks for the article. Looks like that is about all the information the web has to offer, unfortunately. I took mine out last weekend on the river and it did good. I had one of my friends in the boat, pretty big guy, and he had to sit back closer to the front thwart to balance us out. I think the seats could be closer towards the center. That was the only problem i had. The boat is solid and surprisingly agile. I paddled it solo for a while and it did great. Are you planning on going on the river or lake more?

Also, you should be good with some decent racks. I used to carry my old canoe on my car before i got a truck, and it did fine, with a pair of good ratchet straps.

Check out my photo...does yours look like this one (with 2 thwarts) ? Hope to talk with you soon!photo.JPG