Noise

624oldron

Cadet
I have a 22ft Fiberform, old but quite sound, except for a lot of engine noise. I have a wood cover, its an I/O, Merc., and I am reluctant to spend the sort of money asked for by the marine stores for sound proofing. I think there must be less expensive methods, any ideas welcome.

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Noise

You can buy 1/2" thick insulation clad in thin flexible aluminum at home improvement centers inexpensively. Just use some good contact cement or staples to hold it to the inside of the cover. You can also find lots of different types of foam sheeting and insulation at www.mcmaster.com. This catalog company has an incredible number of industrial items.

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

624, Whatever you decide to use be sure its fire/heat resistant.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

There is a difference between the more expensive soundproofing foams and the run of the mill stuff you can find at hardware and home supply stores. The real sound proofing stuff is laminated with a layer of either vinyl or lead. It is the mass of the layer that deadens certain frequencies. You might be able to improve on your current situation with the cheaper stuff, but there differences other than price that might be worth it for you.

624oldron

Cadet

Thanks for the help. I talked to the research people at one soundproofing company and their concern was the affect of the heat build up on the engine. I'm meeting with some old boat builders, see what they think. Thanks

flashback

Captain

oldron, let us know what you come up with, I tend to agree with you on the cost of the sound proofing material at the marine centers, but I don't think i would use house insulation board, it doesn't have sound deadeniing properties anyway, its mostly for temperature and drafts.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

624 - Some years ago I found some insulation that might be useful. It looked like the bubble wrap used to pack stuff for mailing, but was silver in color and much heavier duty. I do not think the temperature of the motor cover will be too great for this stuff.<br /><br />Also, my I/O motor cover has the original 3/4-1" foam insulation. It doesn't appear to be anything fancy, but it is effective.