NOISE

i HAVE 120 MERCRUISER. HOOKED THE HOSE TO IT AND FIRED IT UP RUNS SMOOTH BUT WHEN I REV THE ENGINE I HEAR WHAT I THINK IS A LOUD VIBRATION. SOUNDS LIKE ITS COMING FROM OUTDRIVE. IS THERE A FLAPPER FOR THE EXHAUST OR SOMETHING. DONT WANT TO GET ON THE WATER AND HAVE A PROBLEM. ITS A I/O

KRS

Banned
Re: NOISE

Prop shaking on shaft (greased it lately).<br /><br />Loose tilt ram connection.<br /><br />Input shaft coming loose from coupler (happened to me) :mad: Have you greased that lately?

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello, When was the last time you pulled your outdrive and checked and lubed your u joints and inspected your gimbal bearing. You might have a worn out part in this area of your drive. U joints that are worn will vibrate and make clunking sounds. A worn gimbal bearing will make a rumbling and or growling noise. Check it out or have it checked if you are unsure of your ability to diagnose or repair this. Any new noise is your equipment trying to warn you of impending trouble. Don't ignore it!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Whenever I see the words "hose" and "rev" in the same sentence, I grimace. You should NEVER be revving the engine when on the flushers. There is an exhaust shutter in the exhaust system, yes. That could cause a clattering noise. It could also be a shift cable adjustment too. If the linkages and cables are a bit sloppy, some, less than professional, 'mechanics' adjust the cable so it is VERY close to engagement in neutral. This leaves the edges of the dog clutch and forward gear just touching each other. <br /><br />Chris..........

f_inscreenname

Commander

This may be a stupid question but was the outdrive all the way down at the time? If not there is your problem. More then one poster has had the same question and there outdrive was up at the time.

ok here are all the responses.<br />outdrive was installed by marina last spring.<br />they went over all components then. as for the outdrive being up. it was did i hurt it? god i hope not. and with it up what is the noise f_inscreenname? thanks all.<br /> :eek:

f_inscreenname

Commander

The noise was your “U” joints flopping around. Don't ever run your motor with the outdrive up. Causes nothing but problems and a lot of stress on the u joints. Put the drive down and give it a try. If you didn't run it to long I don't think you will have a problem. If so you will soon find out.<br />People just love writing my name :D

Bondo

Staff member

With the outdrive in the Full Up position,<br />The U-joints Can't Bend(or wobble, or whatever) that Far........<br />It causes Extreme Stresses on the joints,+ yokes.......<br />It's like bending your finger over Backwards.......<br />Ya, It'll go Only so Far, Then it Breaks...........<br /><br />You Might be Lucky...............<br />Or,<br />You May be needing new u-joints,+ or yokes........

f_inscreenname

Commander

I would try it in the driveway first. Drive all the way down in gear and out. If you hear some noise when you turn it side to side there still may be some hope . Most drives will make light noise when not under load. If that works out then take it to the ramp. Start off slow steering side to side and progress from there. Like I said if you only ran it for a short time you should be OK. I am sure everyone here who flushes there motors have left the drive up once not thinking but then we shut down immediately and that is what you should do. If you toasted your U joints its not the end of the world. They cost about $40.00 each plus labor. I don't know what labor costs (I do all mine own stuff) but it cant be that bad.

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would wager its fine. 6 outa 10 guys do this at my ramp every day. They also try to plane the boat with the drive all the way up (roostertail!)