Noise in lower drive

kcodd

Cadet
Hello all, new here and have a question.<br />I have a 71' pipestone mariner runabout I have restored. Its a i/o mercruiser 140.<br />Just fired it up for the first time and mostly went well except for a noise in the lower drive at idle in Neutral. kind of sounds like a ticking. It quits when in gear.<br />Any Ideas?<br />I havent had time for a boat for many years now, and this msg. board is GREAT!<br />And the peopls seem very friendly!<br />Thanks in advance<br />KC......

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Noise in lower drive

A couple of questions; 1 Do you have the trim is all the way down? 2 Fluid full? (may want to change you never know what you will find in the drained fluid) 3 Dose it lock in gear?<br /> It sounds like gears to me,you will never know till you give it the gas. M

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

Hello SSoutlaw,SS does that mean that you are a submarine sailor? Meanwhile back to your question. You can hear a noise like that if the neutral adjustment isn't set properly, the clutch dog lightly hitting the dogs on a gear.<br />Good luck

Trent

Captain

I agree with Mr. Retired. The adustment is just a little off..Move the shifter back and forth a little and see if it goes away. I believe it will..This is VERY common.

kcodd

Cadet

SS is for superslab, its a truck thing...lol<br />my name or handle if you will,for 22 years.<br />almost retired again I will try your sugestion. <br /> Thank you all<br /> KC...<br /><br />PS:<br />It does grind a bit going into rev. or fwd<br />Same problem you think?

Trent

Captain

When shifting do a positive shift..In other words dont do it real slow or it will grind.<br />Check this page out and see if it helps.Shift cable adjustment