Noise in lower drive

kcodd

Cadet
Hello all, new here and have a question.<br />I have a 71' pipestone mariner runabout I have restored. Its a i/o mercruiser 140.<br />Just fired it up for the first time and mostly went well except for a noise in the lower drive at idle in Neutral. kind of sounds like a ticking. It quits when in gear.<br />Any Ideas?<br />I havent had time for a boat for many years now, and this msg. board is GREAT!<br />And the peopls seem very friendly!<br /> Thanks in advance<br /> KC...... :) <br /><br />Im sorry ,I just noticed I posted this in the wrong catogory. Please disreguard.<br />I reposted in motors thread.<br /> Sorry<br /> KC...

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Noise in lower drive

I suspect your shift linkage is out of adjustment. A partially engaged gear makes that noise you describe.<br /><br />Walt

kcodd

Cadet

Makes sense, a dumb question though.<br />I have never owned a I/O, is the prop. susposed to barely turn in neutral.<br />I do get a slight grind when going into fwd. or rev. You think the culprit could be the shift linkage?<br /> Thanks for the reply<br /> KC...

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In nuetral a prop is usually seen to turn slightly. The drive system is usually disconnected entirely but some turn is to be expected. Mine turns quite fast in nuetral<br />Ross

Walter

The gear lube being churned up by the rotating drive shaft gears is what causes your prop shaft to turn when in neutral. That's normal. When you engage forward or reverse gear, you should do so by moving the shift selector/throttle lever in a quick, "crisp" motion. Do not slowly push it into gear. That causes the gears to grind together before engaging. Not good.<br /><br />If you feel so inclined to do the maintenance on this unit yourself, I strongly suggest you purchase the proper repair manual for your Merc. If you haven't already, I suggest for starters you drain the gear case and check to see if water or other contaminates (metal) are present. If all appears good, hopefully the noises you hear are only a result of cable/shift linkage mis-adjustment.<br /><br />Good luck...<br /><br />Walt

kcodd

Cadet

Thanks for the reply Walter,After I got the boat I went to the boat shop and bought the repair man. I drained the fluid today and found no metal or water, it was however a dark color?<br /> Thanks<br /> KC...

Walter

Yes...that's normal. Especially if it's been awhile since last changed.