NOISE FROM POWERHEAD

CRANKIE

Seaman
1998 115 MERC 2 STROKE.<br />WAS TOLD IT RAN OUT OF OIL<br />IT RUNS GOOD BUT SLIGHT TIC NOISE<br />FROM THE POWERHEAD. <br />I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS NOISE IS CRANK<br />OR IS NORMAL. SHOULD I TEAR IT DOWN ?<br />ANY THOUGHS ? :cool:

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: NOISE FROM POWERHEAD

2 strokes do "Rattle" a bit..when you put your ear to them.. There is no oil bath, and they are virtually exposed, very unlike a car engine. A lot of metal moving in there..Sounds normal to me.

phatmanmike

Captain

i had similar thing with my 6hp evinrude, took it apart and found that the connecting rod bearings were shot...<br /><br />take the cylinder head off and check if there is any play in the pistons, they should not move up or down or left or right or south or north or ANYTHING, mine you could rotate them about 1/16 of an inch left and right.... not good.... maybe yours is better<br /><br />m ike

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Crankie, There is a way to check connecting rod bearings through the spark plug holes. Basically you bring the cylinder to top dead center, back off the piston an inch or so, and then try to push the piston down. If the piston moves even a slight bit and the flywheel doesn't, the bearings are likely bad.

CRANKIE

Seaman

Thanks i will check by removing plugs<br />let you know soon ;) :cool:

phatmanmike

Captain

chris, i did just that with my 6 hp and they did not move AT ALL.... so dont use that as the only determining factor ...<br /><br />i had a johnson 50hp that did just what you say , and it was the wrist pins/bearings<br /><br />m ike