NoelMG...I give up.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What is "C8H10N4O2" in your sig???
thk.gif

ndemge

Commander
Re: NoelMG...I give up.

it's the caffein molecule.<br /><br />Add a little C6H1206 and C12H22O11 for flavor :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Drowned Rat:<br /> cuppa joe :cool:
Does anyone know the origin of the term 'cup of Joe'? I've heard it a couple of times but always forget.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Maybe I can help explain it<br /><br />3,7-Dihydro-1,3,7-trimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione<br /><br />There feel better now. <br /><br />Bob :cool:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Cuppajoe" comes from WWII.<br /><br />Coffee has been called "java" for a long time. I guess Java was a major supplier at one time.<br /><br />Some languages don't have the "V" sound, and those people couldn't pronounce "java", so the vendors of coffee started calling it "joe", after GI Joe. Thus "cuppajoe" entered our language through the GIs that were served "joe" and liked the melodic sound of "cuppajoe".<br /><br />I have no idea if the above is accurate, but I like the story. :) Every time I use the term I visualize Bill Mauldin's Willie and Joe heating a cuppajoe in a helmet over a small fire in a foxhole.

crab bait

Captain

do you know that coffee is a poison.. if'n something you injest is not a nutrient,, then it's considered a poison..<br /><br />which doesn't make it a BAD thing,tho..<br /><br />how caffine works,, it enters the body as a poison an the body 'get's itself up' to fight this mild poison off ..

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

"if'n something you injest is not a nutrient,, then it's considered a poison.."<br /><br />Water isn't a nutrient, and I've always heard it's pretty darned important to sustain life as we know it! Next theorum ... ;)

ndemge

Commander

Old Curmudgeon, You are so wrong! Mono-HydrogenDioxide Is the leading cause of death in the Boating Community. People die if they breath it in, it causes Iron Corosion etc.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Shouldn't that be dihydrogen monoxide?

ndemge

Commander

H 2 0<br />1 H<br />2 O<br /><br />Dioxide is 2 O's right?

KaGee

Admiral

Geez, you guys really know how to ruin a cup of coffee!<br /> :p