No water stream when flushing Suzuki DF250

Weirthit

Cadet
Engine: 2022 Suzuki DF250 on pontoon boat

Yesterday after a nice day of boating on the Puget Sound I hooked the hose flush muffs to the engine to flush out saltwater. With plenty of water present I started the engine. Walked back to the engine and was alarmed to see no water stream out the side of the engine. I shut the engine off and verified the muffs were covering the intake holes on the lower unit and plenty of water was gushing out. Started the engine back up and once again, no water stream out of the side of the engine.

Ended up flushing using the hose ports on the upper portion of the engine although you cannot run the engine using this method.

I find not having a water stream present strange as the boat ran perfect all day and I verified the water stream all day during the voyage. I plan on running the engine in a freshwater lake tonight to see if having the lower unit submerged creates a stream.

Has anyone experienced an issue with no water stream while running on flushing muffs? How concerned should I be?

Thank you for any comments.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I do not know what all that motors TT runs thru before exiting the TT,
but look to see if it runs thru a fuel cooler or something else that may have stopped up , pinched line ,or come off( but that would cause water to be flowing all over inside the cowling)
running a piece of weed wacker line up it might unblock it or maybe some compressed air blown up it would help move things around.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have to duct tape my muffs onto my Yamaha to get a telltale stream when running on muffs to prevent water loss.I also fill the motor with fresh water thru the flush port prior to running on muffs so you are starting out with the motor full of water.If Suzuki is anything like Yamaha...they dont seem to like running on muffs.You can also upgrade to the muffs with the dual flushing ears.Charlie

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Is this the first time flushing the motor on the muffs? Can you use a tank or large trashcan to flush it? My experience with Yamaha, maybe the same with Suzuki, the larger motors don't like to run on muffs. Sounds like everything is working since it pisses while in the water. You said "plenty of water was gushing out" that may be an issue that the water flow wasn't directed into the water intake of the motor. " I plan on running the engine in a freshwater lake tonight". Did you do this? if so what happened? I guessing it pumped water with no issue.