no water pee whole after impeller was changed

Urbina

Seaman Apprentice
OK so i just recently got a 1975 Glastron with a 50 hp sea horse. ( first boat )
changed the oil, spark plugs, lower gear oil, cleaned carbs.
I got it running there was a steady stream of water from the pee hole but was not sure about the flow from the **** hole so I decided to replace the impeller and i did everything went well. It started on the first key turn but no water from the pee hole.
Did i do some thing wrong or should i let it run ?:confused:
i had it running on the ear muffs for about 3 minutes then i worried and shut it down.

please give me some knowledge, thank you

Urbina

Seaman Apprentice
Re: no water pee whole after impeller was changed

OK so i just recently got a 1975 Glastron with a 50 hp sea horse. ( first boat )
changed the oil, spark plugs, lower gear oil, cleaned carbs.
I got it running there was a steady stream of water from the pee hole but was not sure about the flow from the **** hole so I decided to replace the impeller and i did everything went well. It started on the first key turn but no water from the pee hole.
Did i do some thing wrong or should i let it run ?:confused:
i had it running on the ear muffs for about 3 minutes then i worried and shut it down.

please give me some knowledge, thank you

ppp

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I start my engines and I don't see water immediately I don't let it run more than 10 seconds, counting in my head. Well if it had water pissing out before you did the impeller change then it has to be something you did while doing the change. Take the lower unit back off and have a looksy

FlaCowboy

Ensign

The impella has a "key" that holds it to the driveshaft. If this key was installed properly then most likely the water tube did not go into the top of the impella housing. Therefore not allowing water up the tube to the engine.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Was the motor overheating??? Could you touch the cylinder head while running???

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Something has to be wrong in there...
Being on muffs the hose pressure would help alot.
Impeller and/or pump must have some sort of issue.

Good luck with the fix.

trojo

Cadet

You may not have done anything wrong. I just had a time getting my 9.9 evinrude to get water out the peehole and it was all because the water muffs I was using was not tight enough on the lower unit to push water up to the pump. My wife reached down and pushed them tight togather on the lower unit and out come lots of water out the peehole. Yep I felt like a dummy seeng how I took the lower unit off 3 times checking my work.LOL ~~~~>----->

5150abf

Vice Admiral

This got me last time I changed mine, make sure your water pipe is long enough, ine over the years had slowly been getting pushed up into the leg and I finnaly notice, after having it apart 3 times, that the pipe was shorter than the pump outlet.

It may be as simple as you missed the pipe but make sure yours is long enough, I fixxed mine after some head scratching by inserting a dowel rod and getting vice grips on it and pulling down, probabaly not the reccomended OMC method but it worked and it pumps like a champ now.

As a tip put a small amount of grease on the pipe and water tube to help it slid in.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

I second that! Lube your pipe before sliding it in ;)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

A Lubed pipe is a happy pipe. LOL...

Urbina

Seaman Apprentice

The impella has a "key" that holds it to the driveshaft. If this key was installed properly then most likely the water tube did not go into the top of the impella housing. Therefore not allowing water up the tube to the engine.

Ok first off I would like to thank all of you for your feed back.
I found the problem the water line did not assemble in lower unit.
Not it runs like a new engine

FlaCowboy

Ensign

Good to hear it is working. Now Happy and Safe Boating :)