No Water!! - Lengthy

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello Folks! <br /><br /> I have everything working on this "give to me" 40 hp Erude (model # 40153G) except for the water pump ain't huffing. <br /> First of all it was a long shaft motor. I had the parts to shorten it i.e. d.shaft,dog clutch rod, and took off the extension sleeve for the water p.up tube.<br /> The first thought was that the key for the impeller was not in the groove, so I disassembled and made SURE that it was engaged (Yes, it's in great shape) in the keyway. Reass'd and still no water.<br /> I am now wondering if the end of the extension tube that I took out is a little larger in diam. than the main tube and it is not sealing to let the water flow to the engine. Or is it possible (which for me it WILL be) that FormOwn has this assembled wrong leading me to same SNAFU. <br /> I have a manual ordered for said motor but have not received yet, hopefully first of next week as I am ready to ROCK n' ROLL!!<br /> Any help or suggestions anyone has would be deeply appreciated!!

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: No Water!! - Lengthy

okay first thing K.B., are you expecting like a stream of water from it? the older motors don't have "pissers" unless someone jimmy-rigged one on it. I have a 1977 model and it has two ports on the column beneath lower cowling and they spit water out. did it get hot? I'm just making sure we're absolutely getting no water before you go to digging into it again. give us more details if you need to

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi mikey!<br /> No this one is like the 50's and 60's motors that the water comes out in the rear of the lower unit. It only has the one pipe. Yeah it gets hot. I won't run it more than a minute in the lake. Not the first dribble of water comes out.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Your model number indicates a 1971 engine KB. I want to say "Did ya' check the t-stat" but I can't find the darn thing on the parts breakdown..... :mad: :mad: Went through a couple close years and still can't find it. I'm a little confused myself....thought all the larger engines after 70' had a t-stat. They were usually under a cover near the top of the head or later on, under the head cover plate. <br /><br />What you might try is to drop the lower unit (yeah...bummer) and connect a hose right to the water tube. Put a little water to it and see if it comes back out. I'm assuming you changed out the water pump impeller??

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah OBJ<br /> All parts look to be fine. Yesterday I had it back apart to make sure that the key was in the empeller slot, put it back together and tried again. Still no water.<br /> I am going to try the water hose on the tube today to see if the water runs out. If not then I'm like you about the t'stat but the head and block look different on the top frome the '62 model 40 hp Johnny that I have for parts.<br /> I'll give update later.

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Some Success!!<br /> Pulled the bottom,checked the tube, hooked the water hose to it and it flows no problem thru engine and out the back of the midsection as it should. Whatup?!!!<br /> Son came by for My day and we pulled down my 20 hp Johnny and that's when I noticed how easy it was to tighten the screws and spin the d'shaft.<br /> Can't do that on the 40. You have to really MASH the housing down to get the screws to tighten to where the housing completely sits down on the base and d'shaft is pretty tight to spin by hand. ????????<br />I think that the impeller is too thick for the housing.<br /> Wrong impeller? No number to go by.<br /> No gasket? The 20 howse ain't got one! No problems!<br /> <br /> Be glad when the manual arrives. Maybe more clues. Seems like the impeller is the culprit.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

you talking about the impeller housing? that last time I changed one the booger fit snug but not tight and I didn't have to force things together. you may or may not have the wrong impeller, you will have a little resistance turning the shaft, especially if the water pump is dry, that's why they'll burn up if dry started. also is the water intake(s) clear too?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

KB...the latest part number for your impeller is 775521. When you put the housing down on the impeller, prelube the cup with some soap...dishwashing stuff...with the housing setting on top of the impeller, turn the drive shaft clockwise and push down on the housing. Should slip right over the impeller. It should be snug and turning the drive shaft should show some resistance. Remember, always turn the drive shaft clockwise.

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

UPDATE<br /> Went to get another impeller and I do have the correct one. Everybody there is stumped so he gets one of his mechanics and he finally figures that the head gasket is blown and the compression is keeping the water from coning up.<br /> Bought a head gasket, go home, pull the head, YEP she's blown! at the water jacket bottom of top cylinder! Did he get me the right gasket? NOPE!! Couldn't tell you what that one fits. (Remember me telling you about the snafu in the first post?) My gasket part no. is 307069.<br /> That's OK tho at least I have something to go on 'til I can get back and exchange. I'll definitely give more input on this as I get there as it may help others.<br /> Thanks to all!! I love this site!!

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

glad to hear you got it likely figured out! just make sure you torque the bolts in the right pattern and torque, and don't forget to retorque and you'll be all set!

R. Bushie

Cadet

Hi, I had a similar problem when I changed my 35 hp Evinrude from long shaft to short shaft. The short drive shaft I was to use was from a previous years motor and the lower drive shaft spline was not cut as long as the 35 and the pin for the impeller protruded an 1/8 inch above the impeller. When I installed the impeller housing it contacted the housing making it very difficult to turn and actually scored the impeller cover. From your comment about the diffculty to turn it would be wise to check. Also the water tube was short on the 35 and I had to use a section of the long driveshaft "extention" tube (that came with the 35 long shaft) so that the water tube fit into the impeller rubber grommet.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Keep us updated KB. Good to know what solved a problem.....nice job!! :)

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Found out today that the head gasket will have to be ordered and I can't get it 'til Friday. BUMMER!!<br /> R.Bushie I know what you are saying except mine has a half moon key for the impeller. (Yep I have triple checked that it is staying engaged after tightening the housing screws) Also have made sure the pipe is in the grommet to. I figure it just has to be the gasket. I will update again after Friday evening.

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm Back!!<br /> Unforseen vehicle problems have delayed me. Wouldn't have it any other way!!<br /><br />Got the gasket, start to torque it down per my manual (YES, it did finally get here!!) first pass, one does not feel right. Do second pass (around 10 ft/lb) same one does not feel right. You can actually take your thumb and PUSH the bolt in. BUMMER! The old SNAFU!! Told you I always have this kind of fun! Helicoil time now!<br /> So once again I still don't know my outcome 'til this is fixed.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hang in there KB....a cold six pack will do wonders for the job at hand...... :) <br /><br />If ya' do the helix coil thinger....do remember to get the tap going in straight.....will really make life miserable if the threaded hole is crooked.

xlthompson

Seaman Apprentice

I had the same problem on my 55 hp ( blown headgasket) check to make sure of the torque setting I think it is INCH LBS not FT. LBS

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

AHHH!!! WE HAVE WATER!!<br /><br /> Looks like the blown gasket was the problem! Got the head back on, took to the lake, fired 'er up and she is pumping now! OBJ, I was beginning to think that SEVERAL six packs were going to be in order(hehe). xlthompson you are correct, I just converted to ft/lbs. for my torque wrench. <br /><br />Thanks to EVERYBODY for their input and support. I am so rarely on the computer, by the time I read what I can respond on, it is usually already fixed. But I try anyway!