no top end in a 71 85hp

hullmaster

Recruit
my 1971 85hp has no top end and it consumes way too much fuel. the carbs have just been rebuilt and has new plugs. it totally bogs down at full throttle. usually my boat does 40-45mph now it does about 5mph. i figured maybe the floats were syuck open but they are not. please help!

emckelvy

Commander
Re: no top end in a 71 85hp

Check the fuel pumps for a ruptured or leaking diaphragm. If the diaphragm goes it'll dump raw fuel directly into the crankcase.<br /><br />Check your distributor and carb linkage to make sure the distributor advances fully to the 'spark stop', and the throttle butterflies on both carbs open fully.<br /><br />Take the plugs out, stick them back in the spark plug boots, and ground them firmly to the block. Crank over the motor and see if you get a good, hot, purplish spark on each plug.<br /><br />Do a compression check. You shouldn't have more than 10 psi variance between the highest and lowest cylinder, and hopefully it's less than 5psi.<br /><br />If that doesn't help, report back with further symptoms and we'll thrash on the problem some more!.........ed

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: no top end in a 71 85hp

Post the serial number of the engine, there was no 85hp in 1971. Inline 4 or inline 6?