no tell-tale when in gear

JackStraw

Cadet
ok, so i replaced my impeller due to no tell-tale water. when i got it apart, the impeller was definately in bad shape. a couple of cracked fins, and the rubber was hardened, but nothing had broken off. i put it in the tank this morning to test it, and it pees strong when idling and at higher rpms in neutral. at the end of the test i put it in forward and reverse, to make sure i didnt bump it out of gear when reistalling the LU, and when i put it in gear( forward or reverse) the peeing stopped. i only let the motor run for another 10secs or so, because i didnt want to overheat it. would the peeing have started up again? is it possible for the water pump to only work in neutral and not work when in gear? the motor went into gear easily. after it didnt pee in gear, i cut engine off, put back in neutral, and it starting peeing again. any ideas? the motor is a 1982 mercury 50HP 4cyl.

emckelvy

Commander
Re: no tell-tale when in gear

Sounds like you have a small test tank and maybe the aeration/turbulence of having the motor in gear upset water flow and the telltale. Or maybe a bit of "fluff" momentarily clogged the telltale.

I doubt it's gonna act like that in the water. Just idle slowly in gear, until you verify good flow.

BTW, if you ever should get a plugged telltale and are concerned about water flow, just feel the exhaust manifold cover (the large, flat cover on the Port side of the engine).

Even at idle speeds, if you lose water circulation the hot exhaust will heat that cover up to extremes very quickly.

If it ever gets more than just lukewarm, you're running too hot. Most of the time, in cold water, the cover will be cold. At full operating temp after a hard run, it's gonna be noticeably warmer but never to the point where you can't lay your hand on it.

Other good indication of water pumping is from water being expelled from the exhaust relief ports when underway. Note you won't get as much of this at idle but there should be a nice, full stream once you're cruising.

HTH & Happy Boating..........ed

JackStraw

Cadet

yes, the "tank" i had it in is a small recycle bin, but it does hold enough water to cover the water intake ports. i ran it in neutral for 15 minutes at various rpms (was doing a decarb with seafoam) and it peed strong the whole time. it definately could have been the choppy water when in gear. i'll run it with the muffs on, or take it to the water soon to verify. i was also getting some water from the exhaust relief ports.

JackStraw

Cadet

finally got around to putting the muffs on it, and it is peeing strong. also did the seafoam decarb process in the faqs and its really smoothed out the idle. thanks for all the help/info on changing out the impeller.