No such thing as a cheap boat!!!

devildog11

Cadet
My neighbor decided to go pay $300.00 for a boat not knowing anything about them. Low and behold he asked for my help in why it wouldn't start. The answer was simple the previous owner had sunk the rear end submerging the entire engine. Hydrolocking the whole thing with no clue for how long. Now for a 1970"s seagate 25 ft with a ford 5.0 windsor engine the question is reman engine or try to salvage.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: No such thing as a cheap boat!!!

question is reman engine or try to salvage.
the question is, is your buddy up for a full restore? if sunk, everything got wet. starter, alt, trim system. all connections are suspect. is the floor soft, stringers soft, transom soft. he's gonna have to go through it all.

i think start with a different boat unless he has a a lot of spare time and likes hard work + a lot of spare cash on hand... if the boat comes has anything other than a mercruiser or volvo mated to that fod engine, that'd be another reason to start over...

call it a lesson learned...

unless yer buddy wants to work on boats and go boating much later on...

zbnutcase

Commander

Eat the loss and scrap it. Your welcome. 'nutcase

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Usually the cheapest part of buying a boat is the sticker price. :rolleyes:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Parting it out would probably re coup his 300 bucks...It would take a little time but parting her out then scrapping the rest would be faster than bringing that tub back to life.

Philster

Captain

300-dollar education. Move on to another boat. 300 bucks is nothing for a good lesson! I've spent more on bad sporting events!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Just Sell it,.... There's Gotta be another $300. Sucker out there....