No start on 95hp merc, was running awesome

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 95hp '67 Mercury Outboard serial #2124524. Back in June, my Pop gave me the Boston Whaler with the motor and I imediatly did something stupid, which I corrected with lots of help from the folks on iboats and a couple hundered dollar donation to Oldmercs.com for parts. The boat was running awsome, had it out many times, and have had no trouble whatsoever. I haven't had it out for about two weeks and today we went to go fishin - mabey its a Mars alligning with Venus situation but the battery was dead - could hear the new CDI wine but not enough jucie left to turn over. Connected jumper cables to the battery and the motor turns over but would not fire - tried this for mabey 20 min - then went fisin using the British seagull - slow but we got some fisin in. Am going to try charging the battery overnight then see if it helps. As I mention till this morning, all was fine with the boat - pull in, hook up gass, pump ball, turn key and Go-Like H#ll to the nearest fishin spot. Today that was not the case.

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: No start on 95hp merc, was running awesome

the mercury switch is not hooked up by the way - I had thought of that casing the problem. If charging the battery does not do it, will have to pull the boat and get it into the garage, unfortunatly, I have it docked 1hr away.

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

now charging the battery, probably won't get a chance tp put it in for a few days.

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If anyone has any previous experiance with similar situations, please clue me in, am going to put battery in in the next couple of days and if there is anything else I should suspect, I could prepare for that. The boat is docked an hour away (free dock - good friend) but on the other hand I am an hour away from any needed tools left behind.

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally got up to the boat late today, put the battery in not expecting much and darn near lost my teeth grinning when it fired up with just half a crank - go figure, Pop and I agree that the lost time and the rediculousness of a dead battery should constitute a crime. How do you replace one of the most beautiful days we saw this summer, turned into agrivation because of a dead battery - we'll - we did go fishin'