No Spark

Bumbu

Recruit
1974 85 HP Evinrude. No Spark. removed black and yellow wire form power pack and had spark. replaced ignition switch. still no spark. Removed black and yellow from ignition switch and again at power pack and has spark in both tests. Could the power pack be sending too much voltage causing an arc between the contacts inside the ignition switch?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Could be an issue in your wiring harness.----Like wires rubbing together.

Bumbu

Recruit
Could be an issue in your wiring harness.----Like wires rubbing together.
I left the black and yellow attached to the power pack and disconnected it from the ignition switch and I had spark. I also opened the harness between the motor and the ignition, and the wires were good as new? The new ignition switch was brand new as well, so I am assuming it is good.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
if you have good wires... sparks with the switch OUT then the switch is bad or wrong type.

it should NORMALLY OPEN when not pressed ... just check it with a ohmmeter.... don't assume we know what that does.

Bumbu

Recruit
So, I tested the old switch and there was 100% resistance in the on position but zero resistance in the start position. The new switch seems to be operating properly with 100% resistance in both the on and start position.

Then I tested for spark and there was no spark with or without the ignition switch connected.

I replaced the power pack and everything is working properly now. I just hope there is not an underlying issue that could have caused the switch and power pack to fail.

Thanks everyone for your help, I will keep you posted after a test run close to shore!