No spark

esaunders55

Cadet
I have a 1993 evinrude 200 ocean pro. I have no spark to any of the plugs. Could the shift switch kill spark to all cylinders and or a faulty kill switch which has the lanyard. Thanks Ed

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I have a 1993 evinrude 200 ocean pro. I have no spark to any of the plugs. Could the shift switch kill spark to all cylinders and or a faulty kill switch which has the lanyard. Thanks Ed
The shift assist only kills spark to 1/2 the cylinders, as do the overheat sensors..
The kill switch obviously kills spark to all the cylinders. Pull the black/orange or black/yellow wire off the kill switch and ignition switch, plus the overheat sensors and see if spark returns.

esaunders55

Cadet
The shift assist only kills spark to 1/2 the cylinders, as do the overheat sensors..
The kill switch obviously kills spark to all the cylinders. Pull the black/orange or black/yellow wire off the kill switch and ignition switch, plus the overheat sensors and see if spark returns.
Thanks I will try that

esaunders55

Cadet
Thanks I will try that
I was looking at the ignition switch and found the black yellow wire had only a couple of stands of wire still intact to the eyelet. In fact it broke off when I was taking it off the switch. Could this have been my problem that the kill switch was not getting the proper current?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I was looking at the ignition switch and found the black yellow wire had only a couple of stands of wire still intact to the eyelet. In fact it broke off when I was taking it off the switch. Could this have been my problem that the kill switch was not getting the proper current?
May be yes and may be no.

Fix the wire and see if it works.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If the black/ yellow wire is broken then it would not complete the circuit to ground to stop the motor.

esaunders55

Cadet
If the black/ yellow wire is broken then it would not complete the circuit to ground to stop the motor.
This is the problem. Motor has no spark to any cylinder. The stator, timing base, powerpak and ignition switch has been changed out and still no spark. What could I be overlooking?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most folks will argue when I present the following no money spent instructions.------Load test your battery even if new.----Take starter apart for inspection and OHM check of commutator to shaft.---Inspect / test battery cables.-----REASON----If motor does not turn fast enough there will be no spark.

esaunders55

Cadet
Most folks will argue when I present the following no money spent instructions.------Load test your battery even if new.----Take starter apart for inspection and OHM check of commutator to shaft.---Inspect / test battery cables.-----REASON----If motor does not turn fast enough there will be no spark.
Thanks, I have checked starter, cables and put in a new battery but I have not load tested it yet. It seems to me watching it while trying to start it that it does not turn the flywheel fast enough but that is just by looking at it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Did you take the starter apart ?----Did you take an OHM reading from commutator to shaft ( should read infinity ) ?----Did you install new brushes ?----Sorry I can NOT SEE what you mean by " checked starter " from where I sit.

esaunders55

Cadet
Did you take the starter apart ?----Did you take an OHM reading from commutator to shaft ( should read infinity ) ?----Did you install new brushes ?----Sorry I can NOT SEE what you mean by " checked starter " from where I sit.
Yes I pulled starter apart and checked all components. It is original to the boat so to play it safe I purchased a new starter and no difference. Still no spark. You have my curiosity up about battery. When I first got the boat I had the same trouble. I put in a new battery and it cranked right up. The battery I have now is an Odessey AGM and I wonder if it could be the problem again.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Hurry to your local friendly boat shop.----Get good help selecting a proper battery !!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You might check the wiring diagram to see if your motor is supposed to supply +12VDC to the power pack when cranking. I know my '98 60* 150HPV6 does. This gives the motor spark at slow cranking RPM.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well----I think 12 volts to the powerpack when cranking is used on the optical ignition ( 60 degree ) models only.----Correct me if wrong.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That is precisely why I recommended he consult a wiring diagram. He should know how the ignition power and killer circuits work.