No spark

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class
No spark from coil. This is that 1969 327 Chris Craft inboard engine. Points are opening, we cleaned them, swapped out coil with another used one from my tool boax. We are getting power at both sides of coil. Do I have 2 bad coils? Would a bad condensor cause this? Dist is a mallory, and it is pretty lousy, all the hard ware is rusty, and I cant get the rotor off. It will break before it comes off. I dont want to dump 350 for a replacement MBI dist just yet. I want this to run first. Cap and rotor are clean. What am I missing?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: No spark

A bad condenser can certainly cause a no-spark situation. Anyplace any of the components are mounted need to be rust-free or awfully close to it. Consider adding a ground jump wire from the block to the distributor housing if there already isn't one. Make sure the mechanical advance mechanism is free in the distributor. 12v+ goes to the coil all the time the key is on. You'll get a voltage reading at both posts when the points are open due to resistance in the coil. The + side should show more voltage than the -. When the points are closed, the voltage at the - side should drop to nuthin or close to it. Make sure the cam surface is clean. Rust can sand-down the rocker on the points and leave you with no gap in just a few minutes run time.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not sure what you meant when you said you "cleaned" the points. Cleanings not usually going to cure the problem if they are glazed over. They probably need replace, you can sand or file them to cut through the glaze to see if it will run, but replacing them is the only way to get it to work for more than a week.

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just wanna get some spark. I have nothing. I dont want to start replacing things till I know whats wrong. Also, I have a 6 volt coil. Seems weird. This is a Mallory YL 566 AV. We do get spark jumping thru the points, but nothing comes out of the coil. We filed points. I have a new condensor, but will wait to install it.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

We do get spark jumping thru the points, but nothing comes out of the coil.
If your checking for spark through the coil wire and not getting any spark, it may be a bad coil wire.

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Antique cable driven tach :eek: Will try new cable and wire. I hate this kind of stuff. Engine hasnt been run in 10yrs so it can be anything. Thanks for the advice guys.

Capt Ken

Commander

With the points open, turn the ignition switch on, with a screwdriver, short across the points at the metal, not the contact point. If you get a spark, then the points are bad.

newport dave

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Mercrewser:<br /> I just wanna get some spark. I have nothing. I dont want to start replacing things till I know whats wrong. Also, I have a 6 volt coil. Seems weird. This is a Mallory YL 566 AV. We do get spark jumping thru the points, but nothing comes out of the coil. We filed points. I have a new condensor, but will wait to install it.
If you have a 6 volt coil, you need to replace it with a 12 volt. <br /><br />Spark across the points could be a bad condenser. Why in the heck would you not replace the points and condenser????????????????<br /><br />Dave

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why in the heck would you not replace the points and condenser????????????????<br />
Cheap beyond reason.<br /><br />Besides, it hasn't run for 10 years, he hasn't even got close to all the problems with moisture sludge in the oil and fuel (carb & fuel pump) problems. Then there's the drive and transom shield ............ :eek: :eek: :confused:

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have new tune up parts, just trying to feel you guys out as to what the problem is before I just start replacing. Thanks Ken, my points must be bad. If nothing else can be wrong, I I'll go ahead with the tune up now. Fuel system had been taken care of, and there is no drive or transom sheild on this boat. BTW, Ken, I cant log on to BD anymore. Wont let me.