No Spark

picman59

Cadet
During a replacement of the water pump impeller for a 1970 Johnson Model 60ESL70B, I had a wire fall off the upper solenoid assembly-part number 56 in the gear head group. I tried to put the wire back into the solenoid. I thought I was successful. I went to start the motor to test the water pump but my battery was in another boat. I hooked jumper cables onto the cables in the boat. While connecting the jumper cables to my car, the posting clamp fell across the negative creating a spark.

My boat motor turns over but I now have no spark. I was wondering if on this model and year it was possible (it is not possible on my 1988) to turn over the motor while the motor was in gear? For this boat, it is no for reverse but can it in forward? That might tell me if the soleniod stayed wired or not. I did put the gear lever in forward and could still turn the motor over. Bringing me back to the soleniod.

Could there have been some back feed through the motor taking out say the coil or amplifier causing no spark? I really don't see how as the key was off.

picman59

Cadet
Re: No Spark

I think I fixed this problem. I pulled the lower unit and worked on the wire going to that soleniod. Hopefully the wire stays in. The boat now fires.

The question still remains, should this model engine be able to turn over with the gear shift in forward?