no spark on one cylinder

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I posted a previous problem on here (power pack on 175 johnson) and have no spark on one cylinder. None at all, and the plug looks brand new, but the ignition coil tested fine. I have on power pack, and the other plugs fire on a 6 cylinder. Is it the ignition coil or something else?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: no spark on one cylinder

As you discribed in your other post, the cylinder not firing is #2. Take the primary coil wire from #4 which is directly under #2, and put it on #2. If the #2 coil now fires, you have a problem coming from the pak. If #2 does not fire, and it's your lucky day, the problem is the coil.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If the problem is in the pak, and all you have to work with is an ohm meter, try this test to further isolate the problem. Unplug the 6 wire connector between the timer base, and pak. Disconnect the black timer base ground lead. Connect the ohm meter black lead to timer base ground lead, don't let these lead's touch the block. With the ohm meter red lead, touch each of the 6 colored lead's coming from the timer base. With the meter on the Rx100 scale, the reading should be 40 ohms, + or - ten ohm's. Next attach the meter ground lead to a clean engine ground, again with the meter red lead touch each of the colored lead's coming from the timer base, you should get no reading. The ground lead from the timer base is left disconnected, and isolated during this test, What you are doing is checking the ignition trigger coil's. This is about as far as you can go with an ohm meter.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I hope I have'nt messed you up here, the test I gave was for the 9 amp charging system. The 9 amp will have but one plug-in connector going to the pak with 6 connector's. The 35 amp will have two plug-in connector's containing 4 wires, they will be blue, purple, green, and white. Let me know what system you have.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I have the 35 amp system. I put new plugs in it, and checked the procedure about swapping the primary leads, and didn't have spark. I checked the other 3 cylinders on that side, and zippy spark, but I have spark on the other 3. I'm 99 percent sure it's the pack now. Anyone have any other sugestions?