No spark on 95hp merc where do I start?

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have a '67 merc that has always been great but must admitt, did a dumb thing, by mistake, I crossed the battery cables (battery was backwards). There was a small spark, so I did not connect, then I noticed my mistake. There is no spark at the plugs when they are in the motor, the plugs do spark however, I put them in my Harley and they lit up like a thunderstorm (had them laid against the block. I suspect I cooked somthing but do not know where to start.

tommays

Admiral
Re: No spark on 95hp merc where do I start?

you need to do a little better on the what it is ? <br /><br />tommays

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I suspect the coil is bad I tested and found not spark with a test meter that reads the curent pasing through the wire. Again, this method showed a spark on my bike but none on the boat am currently pulling the coil and will replace

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the motor is a 95hp '67merc

tommays

Admiral

60 RENAULT 68 I/L4 1965-1968<br /><br />is it this motor<br /><br /><br />tommays

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No the motor is a 95hp 1967 Mercury

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the coil out there is a number "332-2826" which I assume is a part # however the folks @oldmercs.com do not recognize the number. I am going to see if a local auto parts store can test the coil.

tommays

Admiral

so then its and outboard ?<br /><br />tommays

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes it is an outboard, sorry. Clue me in on why your replys do not come up unless I log out then on then search for my name?? What I have done since your last reply: Coil is out of the motor, Part # is 332-2826 serial #2124524(on motor). Have brought coil to a marine parts store and two other marinas, 1 that deals with merc's and Boston Whalers (which is what I have), Chic's Marina, Lake George NY. Was told that the touching of the battery terminals backwards definatly cooked the coil and posibly other damage but that was doubtful. No luck on replacing the coil, it is nolonger available from the manufacturer. Was encouraged to try finding one online, but where to begin? most searches end up with a lot of usless stuff. My e-mail is fdougherty@gfsd.org, unless your posts start to show up, hey - thanks

cosander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you may have more luck in the outboard forum

tommays

Admiral

you need to move to the outboard forum this is for sterndrives <br /><br /><br />tommays

cosander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there are a few threads about your motor good luck

M

Mod3

Moving to Mercury Outboards.

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry, didn't realize what I did, thanks all for you input, is there anyway to link this thread to "testing a coil from a late ,60's mec, Where do I start" - otherwise, this one can end since I seam to be getting somewhere with the other thread