No spark on #3

MostlyHrmlss

Seaman
I have a 1985 85hp Force. There is no change in the (admittedly poor) idle when I yank the #3 plug wire. The wiring is almost like the attached diagram, except for two things:

1) the six wires from the trigger are not grouped the same: two oranges and two greens congregate on a single connector, all going to the 1/2 CDI box as orange, green, red, and green/white; the white/green and red from the trigger end up in a second connector which goes to the #3 CDI.

2) the white/orange from the #3 coil connects to the blue/red from the #3 CDI. The diagram says this should connect to the blue/orange, but I assume this is fine because a) I still didn't get any spark when it was switched, and b) the trigger connects to the white/red wire, and it would make sense for the white/red input to drive the blue/red output while the white/orange one drives the blue/orange output.

Is this a normal variation, or am I the vicitm of a wiring gnome?

The wires emerge from the trigger coil as follows: an orange-green pair from a chute pointing toward the carbs, a red-white/green pair pointing toward the head, and another orange-green pair from the exhaust plate side of the block. If I assume the one pointing to the carbs is #1 and the crank turns clockwise from the top, the red-white/green pair should drive #2 as in the diagram, no?

Attachments

• Force 85hp Ignition Wiring.jpg
    Force 85hp Ignition Wiring.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 0

MostlyHrmlss

Seaman
Re: No spark on #3

Also, what tools can I use to test the stator and trigger signals? The manual suggests "tool T8953, plug adapter set T11237, number 22 tester from ignition tester set T8996, and timing light T8978", but I obviously don't have these. I figure an old analog meter might be helpful. Any other suggestions?
I can't even swap out the coil unit for #3 because it has the same gender plug as the output from the 1&2 CDI.