No Spark / No cranking

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I checked everything. I am not getting any spark to points. Cleaned all connections and still nothing. The motor was running one minute and nothing the next.....Any suggestions? Cleaned all connections. How do I know if coil is bad?.. Also one thing I forgot. I have to cross the solenoid to get to crank. I have power at ignition but won't crank motor at start position. Everything works at accessories position. I disconnected neutral safety switch and still nothing...

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: No Spark / No cranking

do you have a multimeter.if so check for 12v at coil when ignition is switched on.
is battery fully charged.
the 2 small connections across the solinoid need power when ignition is turned to energise the solinoid.
report findings.solinoid may be the first replacement part as these fail regularly and r cheap to replace.

test the coil for resistance to see if its NG. Would love to give you some manual info on testing the coil.... but I don't know what you got, so....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you disconnected the neutral start switch the engine will not crank. If you disabled the kill switch the engine would crank but wouldn't start. You don't get spark to the points -- you get spark to the plugs. Check for voltage at the coil. What were you doing when it was running one minute and not the next?

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you disconnected the neutral start switch the engine will not crank. If you disabled the kill switch the engine would crank but wouldn't start. You don't get spark to the points -- you get spark to the plugs. Check for voltage at the coil. What were you doing when it was running one minute and not the next?

I was flushing the salt water out after a day on water. Went to start it the next time and nothing....No spark at plugs or coil..I was told I could disconnect the 2 yellow/red wires at the throttle control and connect them together to disable neutral safety switch and boat would still start.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

is the battery showing 12.7v+ if not ,charge it and if you have to bridge the solinoid that will require changing as they're cheap.