No Spark means no go

59_seafair

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 55esl69c hydro-electric shift. Here is some history behind this motor. It is over 50 years old first off. I understand that. But I bought this motor that was attached to a 1959 sea fair sedan last year for 150 bucks. It even came with a 9.5 kicker motor but that is not what this post is about. Anyways the people I bought it from was the daughter of the owner whom passed away. They said that it was sitting for over 20 years and didn't know much about it. So I took it home replaced the water pump/impeller, and wouldn't you know it the thing started up just dandy. I had the carbs tuned and clean. Replaced the wire harness seeing how it they were all brittle. I only ran the motor for a few trips last year because I wanted to get the boat back into a presentable condition. This year I changed oil and plugs, put it on the water and ran fine, third time out on the water we were out on the lake for 6 hours or so as we were pulling into the boat ramp the engine died. I thought I might have been out of gas -I didn't look either- so I started the kicker and pulled it onto the trailer. I took it home and put the muffs on once I saw I still had gas and it wouldn't start. I tried to pull start it still nothing. I pulled the plugs and I don't have any spark coming from it.

Right now I am thinking it might be the amplifier assembly, the rectifier, or the coil. maybe the solenoid but I don't know. CAn anyone out there give me some pointers I have been following many threads out there and I know there are many knowable people out there.
Thanks for any advice.

BonairII

Commander
Re: No Spark means no go

I wouldn't call myself "knowable" since I'm an outboard noob, but I try to help. Are you missing spark on just one cylinder? Are the plug wires old? Did u test for spark with a tester or by grounding the plug to the motor?

59_seafair

Seaman Apprentice

I have no spark in all 3. I tested it by grounding the plugs to the motor.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You also have points, dist cap and rotor that could cause your problem. You are going to need a factory manual for a step by step trouble shooting guide.
You might take a look at the CDI website and see if they have anything on line for that engine.

59_seafair

Seaman Apprentice

I was just thinking about the points I will check them tomorrow. I have looked at a replacement cdi and luckily they still make them for my outboard. Just hard to swallow 240 dollars for a 150 dollar boat. But it ran strong so I think the monies will be well spent.

But could the points and cap go bad that fast, it just stopped running I would think that the points wouldn't fail all at once but I am a noob

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Working on a '68 55 and wasn't getting any reading on the ohmmeter at the amp going to the coil. Got lucky and just found a NIB amp for this motor. The old stuff is cheap initially price wise but parts can be crazy if you even can find them. Good luck.