no spark evinrude 1960 75hp starflite

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice
hello,<br />just started a restore of this motor<br />ran well 10 years ago<br /><br />this has a magneto ignition<br /><br />my question is: if i touch a continuity checker to the bolt that comes out of the side of the distributor body(black lead wire attached) and touch the housing I get continuity. should this happen?<br /><br />I think something is grounding out, but I am far from an expert on this motor.
magneto2.jpg
<br />thanks,Ralphw

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: no spark evinrude 1960 75hp starflite

That is the coil lead to the breaker points, and yes, you would have continuity. If you hook up a spark checker, and ground it to the mounting bracket of the magneto, you can take the drive belt off, and spin the drive pulley by hand. That magneto will quite easily jump about a 3/8" gap. If it does not, clean, and set the points at .020. Take the distributor cap off, and check the coil. It was not uncommon the the coil to burn a hole out the side. The later mags had two thin nylon insulators on both sides of the coil to help with this problem. Once you have the mag working, go ahead, and replace the points if you wish. I always like to take the mag off the engine to repair, and test it at the bench. Of course you have to put it back in time with the engine when you do this, but that is really no problem if you have a manual. Once in proper adjustment, that is really a very goog magneto. Also check the rotor, cap, and ignition wires while you have it apart. The spark plug wires are screwed into the cap, don't try to just pull them out.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

In addition to R.J.'s reply, when you have the distributor cap off, connect some sort of spark tester directly to the large main coil terminal, then spin the magneto pulley.<br /><br />If you have spark from that terminal and did not have spark from the sprak plug wire terminals on the previous test, that would indicate that the rotor is shorting out to the metal shaft upon which it sits. IN which case, replace the rotor.

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you. I will do just that tomorrow.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Was that photo in with your post right from the start, or is my mind playing with me?

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by R.Johnson:<br /> Was that photo in with your post right from the start, or is my mind playing with me?
I added it about 10 minutes later:D

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

OK got good spark from the main post on the coil, at least 3/8 blue spark<br /><br />got good spark from the 1 hole and 3 hole on distributor, but no spark out of 2 or 4.<br />tried all the plug wires on the 1 hole and they all work. any ideas? points?<br /><br />I cleaned them and they look to be in pretty good shape, no pitting or burning or anything. I gapped them at .20<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Ralphw

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

There's a pigtail wire that connects both points, check that wire for continuity, and also both set's of points. It's been so long since I worked on one of these, I'm kind of stumped. Check the dist. cap for a carbon trail, or a crack. As you discribe, I would suspect one set of points.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I agree with RJ on the point scenario. One set of points fires 1 & 3, the other set fires 2 & 4. Sounds like poor continity in the wire RJ speaks of, or the wire's missing, or dirty/faulty points.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

RJ.... Yep, that's what I meant (changed it). Just had my mind on something else.

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

OK. completely disassembled the distributor. cleaned every contact point. some areas seemed gummed up somewhat.got really good spark on all but number 1 seems a little iffy , pretty sure its the plug wire end that goes to the plug,I need to redo that end where you shove the metal clip into the wire.<br /><br />so I guess I can assume the coil is good and the condensor is good. may get new points down the road. ordered new timing belt today( broke old one).<br /><br />in the meantime I will start with the fuel system.<br /><br />thank you guys very much for all your help<br /><br /><br />Do you think I can get this motor to be a safe and reliable motor for me and my family? in other words run like new?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If you are going To take the family boating, I would take a 1960 75 HP, as far as you wish to row back. If you totally rebuild it,it can be a reliable engine. If not! all bet's are off.

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

Hmmmmm not sure I want to invest alot of money into it just to put it in salt water anyway. Although it would only be 5-10 days a year in water. The motor has never tasted ocean water so maybe I should sell it and put money toward something else.<br />Thing is I just completely restored a 61 Grady White and thought the motor was appropriate for the boat.<br />I'm torn<br /><br />when you say total rebuild what do you mean?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If the power head is sound, I would go over any part that could let me down. Seals, head gaskets, hoses, water pump, etc. Having a boat like that to put the engine on would make it attractive.

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

thats what I was thinking... my plan was to replace with new all parts possible that would fail me, <br />have:<br />new in package fuel pump assembly, <br />new starter, <br />plan on<br />rebuild carb/fuel system<br />new points/condensor<br />all rubber parts<br />gaskets<br />check/replace all wiring/wire harness<br />check/replace all linkages<br />waterpump/impeller<br />lower unit seals<br />plus cosmetics-paint ect.<br /><br /> Grady White restore <br /><br />
1526.jpg
<br />
1494.jpg
<br />
2280.jpg

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That is one heck of a job. That's the best looking 75 I've seen in a long time. Do the thing's you suggest, and you should be good to go. That is one beautiful looking boat.

Ralphw62

Seaman Apprentice

I'm the second owner and from what the guy's son who sold me the boat said, it was one of his prized posessions. not a drop of water out of lower unit, no rust to speak of. the only real damage was a mouse nest under the flywheel which damaged the paint.