No Power

tomed01

Seaman Apprentice
Salute All<br />I have a Year: 1971<br />HP: 60<br />WOT RPMS: 5000<br />Hydro electric<br /><br />Hi All<br />Trying to get this old boat going Problem is it starts on a dime runs good in driveway but put it in water and it wont make power .I put it in Foward it moves as fast as my trolling motor at all throttle ranges then at full throttle wants to stall out and usually does. in reverse will stall ..help plz where do I start .New Plugs and fresh gas in it.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: No Power

I'm hoping it's a carb problem. They may be varnished-up, restricting the amount of gas getting to the cylinders.<br /><br />The alternative is a weak ignition amplifier. But it could be the points under the flywheel have worn and are barely opening. I'd investigate that before replacing the amp.<br /><br />If it's not running on all 3, it can idle without exhaust backpressure you get when you put the motor in the water.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

You should do a compression check if this motor is new to you or has been sitting for awhile. You will need a compression tester for this, which is available at most auto parts stores. Then, make sure you have spark on all 3 cylinders. You can do this by using a timing light on the spark plug wires with it running or pick up a spark tester at the auto parts store and do it while cranking it over. If that checks out, then on to the fuel system. Can you give us a little backround on the motor? Did it ever run good? New to you?? Etc...

tomed01

Seaman Apprentice

Hi all<br /> No the motor has never run good since ive gotten it. will get a compression tester.tomorrow when i hook up compresion tester do i crank motor over or turn fly wheel by hand to check?

tomed01

Seaman Apprentice

also it had set for a few years had 4 yr old gas in her but got new tank and fresh gas replaced plugs and starts fine just no power in water.

tomed01

Seaman Apprentice

Hi All<br />Read article pretty good but beyond most of that.<br />Will try compression ck first .does engine have to be warm for compression check?will get a compression tester.tomorrow when i hook up compresion tester do i crank motor over or turn fly wheel by hand to check?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Turn it over with the starter 4 or 5 revolutions for each cylinder reading. Make sure battery is fully charged so you get good cranking. A cold test will tell you what you need to know. Readings upward of 100 PSI would be good, but more importantly, each cylinder being within 10% of each other is the key. If this comes out OK, you need to disassemble and clean the carbs. They no doubt have crud in them from sitting and will need to be cleaned out real well. Rebuild kits would be a good idea to go along with the cleaning. We can go into that after the compression results...

tomed01

Seaman Apprentice

Ok thanks guys will start there and report back..Thanks

tomed01

Seaman Apprentice

Ok all
Sorry it took so long to get back but with a wife and three kids im constantly at work or in the honey do list..lol
I rebuilt the carbs and wired in a tach guage set engine in 55 gal drum of water to put load on prop brought idle screws on each carb from seat to 3/4 turn .started and seems to be doing great set idle to 1000 rpm is this right for my engine? when in fwd gear goes to 800rpm at just above idle. was looking through clymer manual and didnt see an idle rpm for it..
Thanks All

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You can't set that stuff in a 55 gallon drum. Put it in the lake.