No power,wich could be the stator or power packs

Max7

Seaman
My 85hp Johnson 1980 lose power when I tried to go fast,and even shuts off,but if I go at low speed it runs perfect and it doesn't shut off,compresiom is good fuel system is good carburetor is clean, new gas pump,all ignition coils are good I get spark in all of them new spark plugs,I kwow is the power packs or the stator I just want to buy the right part,and since is doing this it been using more gas to.help please.

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: No power,wich could be the stator or power packs

I personally think you will probably waste your money buying either. The stator is like a cars alternator and it charges the battery and keeps the motor going. If the battery stays charged it is working ok. The power pack fires the plugs when the points tell it to. If you have fire at low speed, you probably have fire at high speed. <br /><br />If the motor "boggs" down when you give it full throttle, the problem is probably a fuel problem. I was working on my motor(1969 Johnson 115hp) recently and a buddy of mine said It smelled like I was running rich. So I turned in the low speed idle jets 1/4 turn. Ran great at low speed, but when I gave it a take off amount gas it wanted to die. I had to close the choke to get it up and going. After I got it going fast it would go fine. I then turned the jets back out 1/4 and it runs great at all throttle positions. I believe that your motor has fixed low and high speed jets, but I bet that a lack of enough fuel is the real problem. The low speed jets provide the gas for acceleration. <br /><br />You can test the problem by choking the motor as you give it the gas. If it goes then you found the problem. There are other posts about Johnsons and evinrudes that bogg down under a full throttle. <br /><br />If the motor just quits while running a full speed, then you have another problem. <br /><br />I would sure get a factory service manual and check all the easy stuff before I spent alot of $ on power packs and a stator.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Arlan, Max.<br /><br />I think something is preventing enough fuel from getting to the engine at high speed.<br /><br />Get a factory Service Manual and tune it according to factory specs.<br /><br />A common cause of your symptoms is trying to make adjustments that require a load to be done correctly without that load.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

As far as your motor goes. The info I found tells me it is a 1980 model Johnson with a 20" shaft and electric start with manual tilt.